Creosote problem with sleepers

At least I think it is creosote. A very thick tar like substance is seeping from some of the sleepers that form a retaining wall. This has become particularly bad with the hot weather. Any suggestions for an economical way of covering or sealing them? The stuff seems to get everywhere when I am working around. TIA

Reply to
Broadback

The traditional way of dealing with this by the GPO/BT is to fasten hessian sacking around the pole or whatever, using wooden laths. This may have to be left there for some years at worst.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Hi,

Apparently epoxy will stick to creosoted timber, try cleaning a small area and using some Araldite. If it works a thin layer could be used, with graphite for UV protection and thickeners for gap filling.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C