how do I remove tar from old railway sleepers

I have old railway sleepers round a raised flower bed. the tar from them has started weeping out how do I stop it or treat them

Reply to
Ivan MCKEE

I do not believe any treatment exists to stop the seeping.  I can't think of a feasible process that would remove the tar that's already impregnated the wood fibers. As far as removing it from the surface, any substance that's able to dissolve and remove coal tar is bound to be far more nasty than the tar itself. Gasoline dissolves and removes it well but it will make such a mess and will be so detrimental to your health that I would not even contemplate doing it. Not to mention fire hazard. I suppose paint thinners would work on it, too. But it won't stop the weeping, just remove what's already on the surface.

By the way, creosote is not a completely benign substance either (otherwise it would not be much of a wood preservative). The American Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry recognizes creosote as a substance to watch

though compared to other stuff they list there it's not terribly bad.

Anyhow, all I can think of in terms of easing the weeping is perhaps plant flowers in a way that would cover the sleepers and provide more shading. They do seep more when they are warm, so the longer you can keep them in the shade the better.

Reply to
homeowners