Covering an armoured cable

Hi,

I have just run a trench to my garage and a shed through which I've laid a pair of armoured electrical cables. The trench ends adjacent to the back wall of my house and I need to run the cables approximately 6 metres up and along a wall before entering the house.

I'd ideally like to cover the cables but I'm having problems locating something that will do the job. I've found numerous suppliers of plastic trunking as well as suppliers of conduit, but neither seem to meet my needs. I wonder if anyone's carried out a similar task and could offer me their opinion.

Cheers, Chris

Reply to
Can2002

Can2002 brought next idea :

There is nothing ready made, because it is usually run on the surface with clips showing. How about some drain pipe - One pipe vertical will look better than two separate cables. Get an elbow to suit and it can cover the horizontal pipe too. If the cables are already in place then split the pipework so cables can be inserted, then fix it so the split is at the rear.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 13:53:33 -0700, Can2002 mused:

Why do you want to cover the cables? There's nothing to say they need extra protection. Can you not bury them shallow by the wall, they only need to be sunk to a greater depth if they're likely to be dug up inadvertantly.

It would help if you told us what your needs were, I can think of loads of ways to cover it, one of which you have said is not suitable but not why.

Reply to
Lurch

Have a quiet word with somebody from Openreach or one of their contractors, who fit galvanised (or sometimes plastic) cappings over cables running up telegraph poles. Realistically any capping would normally only need to reach some 8' or so from the ground to avoid damage. In GPO days this stuff was called 'Capping, Iron'. It's almost certainly black poly nowadays.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

CPC have it.

Look under the cable and accessories section. Three sizes available ISTR

Reply to
grumpyat

Thanks all for your responses. My reason for covering the cable is purely cosmetic (perhaps I should say my wife's reason;-). Thanks for the telegraph pole comment - funnily enough I was struggling to remember what I'd seen that seemed a decent idea and this was it!

I'll take a look at CPC.

Cheers, Chris

Reply to
Can2002

If cosmetic you could box it in in any material to match the wall or fence, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)