External 6mm armoured cable

I need to run 6mm2 armoured cable to a Hot Tub install. Shortest route is across a lawn .... anybody know of a neat way to get to 450mm depth without a huge trench across the lawn.

Are there narrow powered slitters or similar available ?

The alternative is I clip to a pergola, just not as neat. Or run around base of perimeter fence .. but would almost double the run length.

Reply to
rick

I would use 10 mm2 cable instead of 6 mm2 as the cost difference will be negligible and the labour will be the same and you future proof for expansion.

Reply to
SH

It will be a trench but try a pressure washer?

Youtube search for pressure washer trench digging

OR

horizontally

Reply to
alan_m

300mm would probably be ok in a lawn where there is little chance it will be dug over.

Yup, you can hire them. They will cut a channel a couple of inches across.

What length of trench do you need?

I have done 10 to 20m trenches to about 300mm depth by hand without too much difficulty just using a sharp edger and a mattock. If you lift out the top section of turf in lumps, it all goes back invisibly.

e.g:

Less likely to get damaged in a trench...

Reply to
John Rumm

As usual, advice I wish I'd had many moons ago.

I've ventured one small addition on getting all the spoil back. "It's a bit easier to do this if you can put the spoil onto something other than the lawn - e.g. weed control fabric, bin liners or old carpet." Though I've only done it for short runs.

Reply to
Robin

Yup fair point... I will add that to that page for future reference. Worth cutting the grass in the area first as well.

(Depending on time of year, it is not usually too difficult to keep the spoil together since it is mostly clay here).

Reply to
John Rumm

Proper trenching spades are quite cheap. My local small-tool hire shop hires them out. 300mm is quite deep enough for a domestic lawn.

Andrew