Armoured Cable

OK, you may re-call my intention to re-wire using armoured cable a 1-bed flat. I've opted for the 16mm SWA. I purchased from a wholesale distributor 12metres, and the invoice shows:

6943 x 16.0mm 3 core PVC/SWA On looking at it there is the 3 cores in brown, grey and black - no bare earth or green sleeved earth. At first I thought they'd given me 3-phase cable - so a quick call and they said just green sleeve the grey cable and use that as earth. Er, didn't sound quite right, and an on-line guide (list of all cables) pointed out that since the colour change 'black' is the old 'yellow'. So it's Brown - Live , Grey - Neutral , Black - Earth along with a sticker for mixed colours, and earth the armouring to the earth block, or terminal in the fuseboard. But, it appears the same dimension as the 2 conductors - and previous contributors had pointed out that a 16mm earth would be needed to run alongside the SWA.

does this solve the problem, or am I missing something? Further the cable states on it: ELECTRIC CABLE 600/1000volts BS 5467. Don't see a problem with that, bit appears overkill

Hugh (Bright spark) - (even brighter if I get this wrong - briefly)

Reply to
Hugh

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 12:13:12 +0000 (UTC),it is alleged that "Hugh" spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

The 16mm earth would only be required if you'd used 2 core. You have

3core, I think they are correct going with reidentifying the grey as earth, and I would add, reidentify the black as neutral (using blue sleeving/tape) just to be kind to someone in the future :-).

I would say the distributor is correct here.

600/1000 volts has been the standard voltage rating for armoured cable for years IIRC.

OT: True 'overkill' is the wiring inside my computer, carrying 3.3 volts dc in a cable rated 1500 volt

HTH

Reply to
Chip

Nope, there won't be. Three core will be in three phase colours. In the case of your cable, the new ones it seems.

You have the same cable that would be used for three phase. That does not mean you can't use it for single.

Since one presumes you are feeding it from an existing installation using red/black insulation it might be worth sleaving all the conductors in appropriate colours for the avoidance of doubt. (for a single phase installation this is not a regulatory requirement (it is on three phase), but you are using a cable with three phase colours).

True... but yellow/black in those circumstancs would be a live and not an earth ;-) The armour would tradittionally be used for earth.

As you would expect - it being intended to be L2

IIUC and you were using two core SWA, then this may have been the case. Since you have three core, you already have a 16mm^2 conductor available.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thank you Chip, and thank you John. Most helpful contributions. Hugh

Reply to
Hugh

Hi All!

Does anyone know what the regulations are for running armoured cable above ground or attached to a fence.

I need to run a mains power line to my shed which will become the nerve centre of my garden lighting project.

For part of the distance I can bury the cable underground hence the proposal of using armoured cable, but without going into too much detail the final 2 metres have to cross a small paved area. It is not feasible to bury the cable here because of several built obstructions. Can I run it at ground level on the surface of the paved area where it cannot be walked on or attach it to a fence that borders the paved area and runs up to the shed

Ta for any suggestions

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Aah, PartP!

Under Part P of the building regulations I think you need to get this either approved by building control or installed by an approved electrician; this requirement came into effect from 1/1/2005.

As I understand it, it is perfectly acceptable to do as you propose, ie run armoured cable along a fence providing that it is protected from damage ie:

1) Situated in a position where its not going to be exposed to particular risk (reasonably high up on fence)

2) Properly secured using appropriate cleats (get these from B&Q or electrical factors)

3) Where it comes out of the ground it should have some additional mechanical protection such as a piece of plastic pipe to protect it from spades and feet etc.

There are also requirements regarding the buried section regarding depth, warning tape and/or protective tiles.

I'm not an electrician but installed several runs of armoured cable before it became "unsafe" for me to do so; this reply is based on my recollection of the regulations etc I researched at the time.

Reply to
Tony1