Burying ethernet cable with armoured mains to shed

I'm digging a trench for armoured cable to the shed, I may as well bury ethernet cable with it.
Expensive waterproof cable like this: Multi Cable 75m CAT6 Outdoor waterproof Direct Burial Ethernet Network ... £59.33 https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=w aterproof+ethernet+cable&_sacat1812
Or cheaper wire threaded through a blue waterpipe or what do you recommend?
george
On 09/09/2018 15:55, George Miles wrote:

https://www.plastics-express.co.uk/ducting/telecom-ducting
but at £3 a meter the plastic ducting is more expensive than the outdo or ethernet cable !
george
On Sunday, September 9, 2018 at 4:12:55 PM UTC+1, dennis@home wrote:

... £59.33

=waterproof+ethernet+cable&_sacat1812

Lay a duct with a draw-string, but don't put the cables in it. The duct is for the cables you need in the future but don't know about today, not the ones you do know about today.
I used MDPE water pipe, single piece with no joins (and black rather than blue, but that doesn't matter much). Thread a polypropalyene rope through to work as a draw string. It has low friction with MDPE, but don't pull through at excessive speed nevertheless.
Ethernet is pretty immune to mains interference, but even so, I would space it as far from the mains cable as your trench width allows. And of course, you never install just one ethernet cable run anyhere, but particularly in places where the effort to install it is considerable and the cable cost is peanuts in comparison.
Put a plastic warning tape in the trench about half way in depth between the cables/duct and the ground level, to warn any future diggers.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On 09/09/2018 17:13, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

snip

While I'd make provision for more if I did it again, I haven't found one run per room to be a problem - I just use a switch.
One point needs 4 feeds in one place (TV etc) - the switch seems far more elegant than 4 separate feeds. In fact, in my study there's a switch fed from a switch - seems to work :-)
It's more ungainly if points are needed around the room - which brings up the issue of where to put the various sockets.
--
Cheers, Rob

On Sun, 9 Sep 2018 19:14:00 +0100, RJH wrote:

anyhere,

+1.

Yuk... B-)

It'll work, but each switch adds a bit of latency, also remember the uplink is carrying all the uplink traffic from all the ports on that switch and any others further downstream.

Assuming door in one corner of a room, a rough guide is at the corners next to the door corner, along with power. Power also every 10' or so along walls.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Also, twisted pair isn't just for ethernet. You can run voice, intercom, video, serial, USB, radio, freeview, satellite, ... down it.
Theo
On 09 Sep 2018 22:12:08 +0100 (BST), Theo wrote:

Not all of those natively and I've not seen anything that'll do the RF part of radio, freeview, satellite over cat5e. RF over fibre exists.
--
Cheers
Dave.

https://www.satshop.co.uk/satshop-rj45rf/p/482 https://www.touslescables.com/cordon-rj45-f-H9AL-855.html
On 10 Sep 2018 13:41:30 +0100 (BST), Theo wrote:

the

I sit corrected, if not totaly convinced by the quoted specifications.
--
Cheers
Dave.
On 09/09/2018 22:02, Dave Liquorice wrote:

It's pretty immaterial for many things though - for instance, I have a Smart TV, DVD/media player, satellite box and terrestrial box in a cabinet, all connected to a switch. Latency really doesn't matter and the four boxes are never all in use at once. Even if they were, they all are 100M ethernet, while the switch to central switch link is 1G.
Similarly, I have a computer desk in the living room, with its own switch. The switch feeds the PC, networked printer and the streaming media player in my hi-fi. The fastest item, the PC, normally has almost full-speed access to the 1G connection.

It doesn't matter how many you install or where you place them, they'll never be in the right place!
SteveW
On 09/09/18 23:22, Steve Walker wrote:

+10001.
ESPECIALLY if you are married.
foolish, and by the rulers as useful.
On 09/09/18 22:02, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Limits bandwith uncecessarily.

Prezactly...

foolish, and by the rulers as useful.

It's not just that - underground cables do break. Having a spare (providing it didn't break first) can be useful in such circumstances.
Indoors, back in 2000, I ran 2 to each room, 3 to the living room> Wasn't enough - they are all in use, with a couple of extra switches too.

Some US states have a good rule for positioning sockets. Something along the lines that an appliance with a 6' lead must be able to be positioned anywhere around the wall of the room and plugged in without the cable crossing a doorway.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On 09/09/2018 19:14, RJH wrote:

...as it should, but you may need the full bandwidth one day though.
On 09/09/2018 17:13, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Any drawstring should be 'woven' or 'braided' not traditional hawser laid. Otherwise if you've already some cable in the duct, pulling on the draw string 'twists' the new cable round the old one until they jam... You can/could get cheap 100mm ducts in 5m? lengths. Plug any access with scrunched up chicken wire to stop rodents entering and chewing through cables.
On 09/09/2018 17:13, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

You can always suck a ping-pong ball or similar through with some fine cotton attached to the ball even if you forget the draw string.

That might work initially, but you should always assume ducts will eventually fill with water as condensate collects slowly, even if it doesn't have any leaks in it.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 09:21:42 -0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

They clear fibre ducts (as in telcoms distribution) by blowing through with compressed air and a soft plug. AIUI you don't want to be hit by the plug when it comes out...
Sucking limits you to 15 psi max. Blowing can use much higher pressures.
--
Cheers
Dave.
On 09/09/2018 15:55, George Miles wrote:

What is the length of the run?
--
Cheers,

John.