correct dimmer switch...

Hi all,

I've been looking at the following TLC dimmer switches for a new light fitting:

light consists of a 12v transformer and 7 x 20W "G4" halogen bulbs.

The only other technical details in the box and instructions, is:

PRI.230V - 50Hz / SEC.12V

Can anyone tell me if this is a suitable dimmer switch? I REALLY don't want this to buzz when dimmed!

TIA (as always).

H.

Reply to
Howie

Depends on the transformer, does it say suitable for dimming on it?

Chances are however it will be fine.

Reply to
John Rumm

I thought running halogens at low voltage killed them quicker.

Reply to
Rob Morley

|Howie wrote: | |> Hi all, |> |> I've been looking at the following TLC dimmer switches for a new |> light fitting: |>

I think i'll risk it. The transformer tells me nothing. However, the shop said it's suitable for dimming. It's the potential buzzing which would be a problem.

Thanks again.

H.

Reply to
Howie

If it is any comfort, I just installed a 250W SMPS "transformer" on a modern dimmer switch, powering 200W of track lighting, and there is little or no buzzing to notice, certainly none from the transformer itself that I can hear.

Reply to
John Rumm

|Howie wrote: | | |> I think i'll risk it. The transformer tells me nothing. However, |> the shop said it's suitable for dimming. It's the potential |> buzzing which would be a problem. | |If it is any comfort, I just installed a 250W SMPS "transformer" on a |modern dimmer switch, powering 200W of track lighting, and there is |little or no buzzing to notice, certainly none from the transformer |itself that I can hear.

That's good news. I'll post an update when the switch arrives :-)

Reply to
Howie

Me too

Reply to