Cordless recip. saw recommendations

Hello all.

I have a fair bit of annual tree pruning to do. Also, i have a one-off job of cutting up a load of old decking to a size that will fit the car or the burn bin. It occurred to me that a cordless reciprocating saw might be a go od tool.

I'm willing to spend up to around 100 quid, but don't? want to go O TT for the use I'll get out of it. What do people think of the Ryobi One 18 v at 60-odd quid? Alternatives?

I have a petrol chainsaw and it pains me not to get more use out of it, but it's overkill for most jobs and the faff of mixing the fuel (and disposing of old fuel after long periods of inactivity) is a major down side. I also don't fancy catching a nail or screw in the decking with it!

Cheers.

Terry.

Reply to
terry.shitcrumbs

I bought a Makita BJR181 about 3 years ago for £94 (body only, as I already had several 18V LXT batteries)

Mainly used it for hacking out window frames, and chopping them up to fit in car for the journey to the tip, but have used it for a few pruning and root removal jobs, went through 5" green wood branch without any problem, plenty of grunt to shake the tree and 20+ stone of me back and forth, but on jobs like that it chews a full battery in a few minutes.

Reply to
Andy Burns

You mean this one?

I only have a mains recip saw and TBH I am not a big fan of them. Not ideal for cutting up decking I would have said.

I've recently been cutting up a lot of scrap planed and sawn timber (much of it with screws and nails in). This was into lengths suitable for a woodburner rather than car boot, but same sort of idea.

I found by far the best tool for that was a (mains) Evolution chop saw with their magic blade which will cut anything. Not expensive and "Seconds" are even cheaper.

Personally I would use a manual pruning or bow saw on trees, unless there is a lot to do in which case the chainsaw (petrol or cordless) would come out.

Reply to
newshound

Bow saw with a decent blade, no worries about fuel or battery to be charged both before use and partway through a job.

People have got so used to power tools that many don't appreciate how quick a decent person powered sharp blade can get through things and none of the irritating noise and vibration that accompanies a struggling underpowered power tool.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

load of old decking to a size that will fit the car or the burn bin. It occurred to

me that a cordless reciprocating saw might be a good tool.

I'll get out of it. What do people think of the Ryobi One 18v at

60-odd quid? Alternatives?

overkill for most jobs and the faff of mixing the fuel

Get a mixing bottle. Makes it a doddle.

(and disposing of old fuel

after long periods of inactivity)

Isn't there a grate hole outside your house?

is a major down side. I also don't fancy catching

a nail or screw in the decking with it!

You'll be disappointed. Get a mains powered one.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

This thing is pretty damned fast on green timber. Don't think I paid that much for it though

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Is this the same? £8.99. If it's the one that was called Garden Predator, it is good:

PeterC

I really hope that's a joke.

That is illegal for good reasons - it's not good for the environment, and filling the drains with inflammable liquids could have unfortunate consequences. For example...

AKA

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris