cool want one

Jim Stewart ...

He says legal in the UK but does the thickness of the rear holder mean that the back plate may not be illuminated?

Reply to
alan_m

don't care I would use it in private car parks with cameras....

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

You would possibly care if pulled over for rear number plate being not illuminated when driving on the public road at night, or actually forgetting to change the number plate back.

Reply to
alan_m

If the car park is open to the general public, such as a supermarket car park, then most traffic laws apply as they would on the highway.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

your no fun

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

Jim Stewart ... snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com wrote

Still gets you shafted by the cops when out on the road at night.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I wonder if an lcd number plate could automatically change when on a public road if fitted with an input from a sat nav. That way you could have your blinged up plate off road and the legal one on road. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I was driving home one evening after dark when a car overtook me and when it pulled over into the tip of my dipped beams I could see two different registration numbers superimposed on its back plate, presumably to confuse speed cameras.

Reply to
The Other John

My sat nav has told me I was off road when I was driving down a newly opened stretch of by-pass. A manual switch would be more reliable.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

mine tels me that and the motorway has been opened for about 15 years

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

Regular event with my VW built in unit. Totally confused with all the new development near Stansted. Daren't take it to a dealer as they will want to *upgrade* the *cheat* software!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

My tom tom based android app managed to navigate round a new A14 interchange pretty well. You get what you pay for. My pats update about 3 times a year

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

my MAPS update...brain and fingers disconnect alert

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've updated my Ford Focus Sat Nav 3 times in the past 5 years (free update on-line) It does take around 45 minutes each time during which you cannot remove the power from the USB socket - best to take drive while it's working.

The last update, approaching the M1 to M6 turn off - "keep right" - "keep right" and just as you would miss the last chance to take the M6 "turn left now". Ignore the Sat Nav and read the motorway signs :)

It still has a habit telling you to turn off a A road down a narrow rural single lane road with grass growing down the middle to cut a few

100 yards from the journey (but add 10 extra minutes to the journey time).
Reply to
alan_m

Thats what you get with a dinosaur sat nav, stupid.

Reply to
Rod Speed

That's why you have a "shortest" and a "quickest" route planning option.

Reply to
Rob Morley

very true ancient but I don't care

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

The problem is that the sat nav doesn't necessarily consider the state of the road. It will select shortest because the narrow country road route is shorter. It selects faster because the A road has a speed limit of 30mph or 40mph whereas the country road is national speed limit (60mph), but not sensible (or impossible) to drive anywhere near that speed.

My Sat Nav only tends to show this behaviour in a very rural area where I visit a few times a year. In some places deviate from the "main" narrow winding A road and you are travelling in what could be considered to be a tarmacked farm track. Single track - high hedgerows on either side, blind bends every couple of 100 metres - and few passing places and often up/down the side of a high hill. Meet another car coming the other way and one of you has to back-up quite a distance.

Not Sat Nav related, the last time I visited road repairs meant that often A roads were closed to traffic for the day (9am to 3pm)* and the official diversion(s) via A roads were 20+ miles. Much quicker to use the unofficial 1 mile diversion via these minor roads :)

*Local arrangements where certain works only take place outside of rush hours or school opening and closing times.
Reply to
alan_m

alan_m snipped-for-privacy@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote

The best of them do.