Cooker potentiometer shaft broken in two - could it be repaired?

What IS the hob model? As I said, I can find replacements direct from China, min order level

1000....

Another option that's getting hard is to find someone who has broken a different switch and cannibalise...

...'for spares or repair' on ebay often nets you what you want (as the council tips did but that now been outlawed on H & S grounds).

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Summing up, this cheap piece of chinese POS cab be replaced fore less than 70 quid

It's this isn't it?

And you are too ashamed to admit it. :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If it is curry's, take it back if within warranty and complain. Assuming its your home, buy something better. Ceramic or induction.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I once sold a single ski on ebay. My son had lost the other one. The buyer had lost one of his, too.

Reply to
GB

Don't Currys have an obligation to keep parts for a while?

Reply to
GB

They may be called 'energy regulators'

I would think that something of the same rating and size would be available from another oven manufacturer

alan_m

Yes, I mentioned that quite early on (my dad was in the oven business).

That was what I searched for, turning up the Alibaba supplier (1000 piece lots!)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Having got that far, could you reduce the diameter (lathe, file, angle grinder) and sleeve it? I suppose the flat might be a problem.

P.

Reply to
A_lurker

Now you have it out, glue with araldite, wrap with tape to steady it, drill all the way down from the top and put a long thin nut and bolt through. Remove tape and reassemble.

Maybe.

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

alan_m wrote in news:eks24hFfi8sU1 @mid.individual.net:

Not sure it is a "regulator" more of a elector:

DerbyBorn

DerbyBorn wrote in news:XnsA7519EFF5CAC2TrainJPlantntlworldc@81.171.92.222:

"Selector"

I thought regulators make and break the circuit to control to average temperature - using a bi-metal to simulate the real source.

I believe the hob application is merely Selecting different parts of the element.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Bob Eager wrote in news:ekrv19FdokpU20 @mid.individual.net:

This seems to have the same terminals:

&SearchTerm=hob%20switch

Reply to
DerbyBorn

By George! I think he's got it!

AND is for a cuury's essential hob which is what the OP seems to have, or the same unit re-branded, anyway.

How on earth did you find that?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The power control will be done with some sort of combination of series parallel connections of the element driven by the cams on that shaft

Work out the switch setting for maximum power and hard wire it to that combination using crimps if needed (NOT choc block!!) and then fit a conventional mark-space thermal energy regulator. using a spare part for another hob. Should be about a tenner.

Instead of the six positions you will get an analogue continuously variable control of the power to the ring from 0 to 100%

Reply to
Bob Minchin

This looks like a better made version though without a flat on the shaft

The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher wrote in news:ocb050$csc$1 @news.albasani.net:

That looks good. If I was the OP I would get 2.

The "Regulator" was a red herring - it is a selector switch.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

A bit like

Maybe you can find a cheaper one to try?

Reply to
dennis

Looks plastic?

Weld using heat and a couple of pins melted in. glue with araldite. If its not strong enough make a silicon mould and cast a new one with a bit of glass filled epoxy resin. Know anyone with a 3D printer?

Reply to
dennis

Why cut? Mix the Araldite, wait for 30 seconds, put the bit in place and hold it there for 30 seconds. The suggestions of drilling etc are of course top notch. I've found that drilling plastic don't work very well, said with respect to the other posters.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Thanks though I tried espares and some others. They had no match for the exact model of hob and I wasn't sure that another model of hob would use compatible regulators.

Reply to
James Harris