Converting pdf files to to jpg ?

70c$f9$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net...

Not quite.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

You dont need to learn it just to open a PDF page and save it as a pdf!!!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Useful to read everyone else's tips, thanks; I've been converting PDF to JPG for a while, and I never thought of using GIMP, so I'll try that next time. Up to now, I've been using PDF-XChange Viewer:

's a free version; it's really a PDF reader, but does a nice job of exporting PDF to JPG, and will do things like create 5 JPG files from a five-page PDF.

Allan (no connection with any of the software, just a user)

Reply to
Allan

For freeware, alt.comp.freeware is the place to look. [Just ignore the usual crap etc.]

bit out of date).

Reply to
Ian Jackson

PDF-XChange Viewer can export as .jpg and many other formats, with selection of DPI, quality, pages etc. Free and Pro versions:

PeterC

years, and I've never used that facility? It's not something I'd want to do very often, but (for me) it's the obviously the easiest to do it.

*Much more useful than Adobe Acrobat Reader
Reply to
Ian Jackson
    are good at that.

  1. In google docs you can convert pdf's to docs format and then download them as word doc or openoffice doc. If you open the docx or odt with a zip-manager you can extract the pictures.

Reply to
jstam

Give

a try for free.

Reply to
82045

I thought that this Bullzip thing sounded quite useful, so I downloaded and installed it, which all went ok. However, it seemed to bolt itself in as the default 'printer', and completely removed any reference to the 'real' HP hardware printer. Thinking that it had just set itself up as the default, I went into control panel to put the HP back to that status, and Lo ! it had gone from the list ... So I then had to re - add it as a new shared network printer, and make sure that it was set as the default. Am I missing something here ? I have to have the HP as the default, otherwise the missus and so on won't understand when they come to print anything. Now that I've re-instated the HP as the default printer, Bullzip is still in the list, but obviously as a selectable alternative. Have I got it right now ?

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Just discovered that Photoshop 7 will do it. Don't know about earlier versions.

Jim Hawkins

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

In message , Arfa Daily writes

It's a while since I installed (or updated) Bullzip, and I don't recall any problems. However, when installing it, there could well be a question like "Do you want to make Bullzip your default printer". Maybe you missed it and let it do it, while I spotted it, and said "No".

However, I'm surprised that it removed the incumbent default HP printer from the list of printers, instead of just displacing it. I have several printers listed (mostly PDF printers), and I've never had one spontaneously removed when installing any of them.

It looks like you have - but, Bullzip should not have removed the existing default HP.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Yes Ian, that was my feeling too. I'm pretty sure that I didn't miss any questions about defaults. I've been using computers a very long time, and I am always extremely careful to note all the installation options on any new piece of software that I'm installing, purposely to avoid this sort of thing. For instance, I always look for an option to install the software somewhere other than on the C drive, as I like to keep that for OS stuff only. I have another completely separate physical drive for applications. Also, I am always on the lookout for these installations wanting to add taskbars on the screen and background programs that I don't want.

As soon as I had installed it, I opened up a Word document to see how it would present in the print options. It was there, in the window, as the now default printer. I did the drop-down to re-find the HP hardware printer, and it was not there, which is when I went to the control panel to see what was going on. There was no reference to the HP at all, so I did an 'add printer', told it that it was a network printer, and let it go search. It found it and identified it correctly, and then asked if it should use the driver that it had already got installed for this printer. I told it yes, and there it then was, back on the screen, and set as the default. When I then went back and checked in my Word document, the HP was back to being in the window as the default, and when I opened the drop-down, Bullzip was there as a selectable option, which worked ok.

Puzzling ... >:-\

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily