Continuous rod embedded between brick courses?

Removing some bricks from the outer skin of our cavity wall we discovered wall appears to be continuous runs of metal wire every few courses:

They look to be very similar gauge to the wall ties and so I am assuming they are performing a similar role, albeit laterally within the same wall as opposed to between each leaf. If this the case, why?

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Apologies for the misleading subject; they are not rods but rather ~3mm diameter wires.

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Looks like it must be some sort of reinforcing. But I've not seen it done in that way - and and struggling to see why they would one a lower course. On the top of a wall, I could see some point.

The lower thingy is of course a wall tie to the block skin.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yes, and I think I've now found what appears to be what it is:

ement

To quote: 'Where large format masonry units are stacked one above the other , the lack of bonding between them will greatly reduce the overall flexural strength of the panel and the ability of the wall to spread vertical loads . The use of Ancon reinforcement referenced AMR/S/D3.5/W60 is normally reco mmended at vertical centres no greater than 300mm, usually every course or every other course depending on the height of the masonry unit.'

As you can see from this picture I do indeed have 225mm high bricks in the wall:

Mathew Newton

Those look like sandstone 'bricks' which the local planning dept probably insisted on.

If that wall is going to be an internal wall and removed after an RSJ is inserted, you might as well try and remove them without damage. They are probably worth more than humble bricks and could be re-used to build your new outer wall skin.

Reply to
Andrew

Yes; that's the plan. If you notice on

/wallmetal2.jpg I have built a partition wall within the existing lounge (c omplete with the original doors and windows from the back wall to still giv e us some light) in part so that the builders can knock through and reuse t he bricks in the new outer skin. Not only does it cut the cost of some bric ks but will also of course ensure a perfect match which I had previously st ruggled to get.

Reply to
Mathew Newton

My architect suggested using several courses of embedded expanded metal as having a load bearing performance similar to an RSJ. I actually used an RSJ but the idea stuck:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Mathew Newton used his keyboard to write :

As a very amateur brick layer, decades ago, I built a brick BBQ. It didn't survive use and heat for long, before the upper bricks began to loosen. So I decided to rebuild it with some wire reinforcing between the course. That then lasted for decades until I decided we no longer had a use for it. It took a considerable amount of effort to demolish it.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I looked hard at those french doors and windows and wondered why they were 'inset' :-)

Reply to
Andrew

Don't quite follow. Was this spanning a gap? The usual use for expanded metal is to provide a key and some strength for rendering. Is that several layers of expanded metal in one layer of muck, or several brick courses each reinforced with a single layer? I can see that providing

*some* strength, but not really being a substitute for an RSJ.
Reply to
newshound

The question arose over supporting a studwork gable over double garage doors. There is a central pier so I suppose the spans would have been around 8'0".

Each course reinforced. Top in compression, bottom tension.

We have a horizontal brick *arch* in the farmhouse with no visible strengthening. Used as a dairy at some time so wide enough to get the milk cart in. Look like Flettons so perhaps not that old. Pre-war to my knowledge.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

So there is also a door-frame underneath the bottom course, providing some support? That does make a lot of difference.

Our local Victorian brewery has a stone roof to the cellar which has a very flat arch, I keep meaning to measure the ratio but to me it looks flatter than Brunel's brick railway bridge at Maidenhead.

Reply to
newshound

There would have been but I chickened out and used an RSJ:-)

Umm.. I suppose you don't need much arch if the ends can't move.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

but, does it have the span?

Reply to
charles

Well thank goodness for that. Intermittent Rod is bad enough, never mind continuous.

Reply to
Tim Streater

That's the important thing. There's a row of teraced houses near me, probably 1880's. They all have full height front bays with brick pillar corners and fairly shallow arched brickwork over the windows. Not surprisingly, all the arches are patched up with mortar repairs, because they just push the brick pillars outwards. They work fine when the wall either side provides substantial buttressing.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel