Consumer unit compatibilty question

I'm thinking of fitting a new consumer unit with MCBs instead of the set I have at the moment with re-wireable fuses.

Do all the common makes of MCBs, RCDs etc fit in all brands of consumer unit or do I *have* to buy all parts with the same brand.

I know thay all fit on DIN rails but do all the openings in the front of the boxes line up ok?

TIA

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

For compatibility, it will be preferable for you to buy a complete unit, with all of the MCB's etc., such as the following link: -

makes, I prefer Crabtree starbreaker, Wylex, MEM and MK; and I occasionally fit Square D domae. I avoid Chint and Volex.

Reply to
John McLean

Thanks John

Very helpful

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Whilst technically this might work, it is strongly not recommended, particularly as it usually invalidates the type approval. It also looks ugly and the lids often don't close.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Can't see any point in wanting to mix and match anyway on a new installation - given it's usually the MCBs that are the more expensive part.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)