Confused.com

Details of insurance offered are very sketchy

So what would/could be the reasons NOT to just accept the cheapest quote ?

Reply to
fred

They do tell you that once you like a quote, go to the actual insurance company's site and check the precise cover and T&Cs - which will vary.

Reputation is harder to check.

Reply to
Bob Eager

fred :

You don't accept quotes at confused.com. You follow links to insurance companies' web sites.

If the details on an insurance company's web sites are "sketchy", or otherwise not to my liking, I don't accept the offer, and I try the next cheapest offer instead.

And when I've got a satisfactory offer, I try to improve it by increasing the cover and reducing the excess as far as they will go without increasing the premium.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

What the actual insurance is covering. Often when than taken to the insurance companies site the term and conditions are restrictive or when you start reducing excess amounts or add the optional cover you may want the price will go up.

There are good deals out there but it will depend on your individual circumstances. Insurance can be based on age, claims history, age of car/property, if there is a Y in the day of the week when you look etc.

Reply to
alan

Yes but they still catch me out. The sites I've looked at don't give full d etails. When I changed my car last year the Halifax made me cancel the exis ting policy and take out a new one. This was all done on the phone and when the agent ran through all the details I was astonished to hear they no lon ger covered me for driving other vehicles, TPF&T only. Last year it cost me around £300 this year they want £1125. WTF. Nothing has changed. Like it or lump it. Take it or leave it. And I've been with them a few years now .

And they wanted another £1000 if I added my mature family members, who al l have their own vehicles, clean licenses, no claims history etc.etc.

Reply to
fred
[Snip]

Do you live in an area where you might be running over film stars or other expensive people like footballers?

Reply to
charles

details. When I changed my car last year the Halifax made me cancel the ex isting policy and take out a new one. This was all done on the phone and wh en the agent ran through all the details I was astonished to hear they no l onger covered me for driving other vehicles, TPF&T only. Last year it cost me around £300 this year they want £1125. WTF. Nothing has changed. Lik e it or lump it. Take it or leave it. And I've been with them a few years n ow.

all have their own vehicles, clean licenses, no claims history etc.etc.

This was my experience with Direct Line. Catch the customer with a low init ial price, then clobber them with punitive prices for any policy changes.

Reply to
dom

Check with someone like Which? for recommended providers.

Customer satisfaction and a good record of settling claims is worth a lot more than a few quid off the price.

IIRC LV and NFU are around the top of the table.

HTH

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

When I look for Ins ... I need to include class 1 business cover, not all companies include it for free ... so that is one reason not to choose cheapest.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Noted, thanks. House insurance renewal coming up, I'll give them a try. Where is the table of which they are top of? 'Which?'.

They're all at the "Cheap for new business, stitch up existing customers on the direct debit scam".

The AA overcharged me by 50% on a DD renewal, so that direct debit was cancelled when they'd repaid the excess. Why would I need AA membership on a direct debit when they use that priviledge as a means to plunder your account?

Reply to
Onetap