Compulsory water metering

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The message from "Bob Eager" contains these words:

Sadly, not her bit.

Reply to
Guy King

And there's no need to fear, most of us don't want to be.

What bothers us is the numbers of s**th*rn*rs who are coming up here :-(

It's horrible, tell them, we're nasty folk, the weather is dire, there are no jobs and anyone from down there isn't wanted with their funny way of talking and will have 'alf a brick 'eaved at 'em.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Just for interest, what did you do with the saving?

Mary who approves of metering

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Even if the cows are eating them?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Err, yes, if you take into account the word effectively. The Central Electricity Board was created by an Act of Parliament of 1926, for the purpose of creating the grid and standardising supply systems.

Err, it depends. Much of the modernisation happened after the Grouping, which was probably as close to nationalisation as a government of that day would want to go and electrification, outside of the Southern Region, really took off after 1956.

Which was more due to political outlook than nationalisation per se.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

under any government.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Oh come on. Sheffield people aren't that bad.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Appalling

Reply to
Gully Foyle

The message from "nightjar" contains these words:

The real reason water metering is attractive to the water companies is that more they can screw down the increase in demand (and if fatty two jags gets his way demand is certain to increase in the South) the longer it will be before they have to invest billions in yet another reservoir and associated infrastructure (or, in the dry corner of England, a desalination plant).

Reply to
Roger

Whilst dividens before investment is a consequence of privitisation.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

They ARE!

But not as bad as Loiners, who are the worst people ever, in the whole wide world.

I'm one, that proves it.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Mary, you really are a stupid woman. I feel ashamed of my sex when I read your ridiculous and unthinking posts.

Reply to
Gully Foyle

(effectively)

Bollox!

Bollox!

TOTAL Bollox!!!

More total Bollox!!!!

nationalised

charges

More Bollox, when have they been involved in the water supply industry?!

difficulties

More Bollox.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I suggest that

a) you killfile me (it won't hurt me and I wouldn't know so it wouldn't offend your sensibilities)

or

b) you exert self-control and don't open any of my posts.

Sorted!

Mary er - don't you think that food is essential for health?

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I've read her reply. It seems to me that she's using this NG to get "Care in the Community".

Reply to
Chris Bacon

As the national grid was being planned/built in the 1920-1930s I fail to see how it was a nationalised industry that was doing it.

The gas industry was around a long time before nationalisation. It even predates the electricity industry by a few decades.

The railways have been expanded and modernised throughout their existance maybe you are confusing going to diesel with modernisation?

Ever hear of Beeching?

why? Haven't you heard of South Staffs water? It has never been in public ownership but supplies most of the water in Birmingham.

I think you need to read more.

Reply to
dennis

You tell 'em , Mary, you tell 'em. What will be the national flag of Northern England? You can discount Liverpool as that place is already different and should be its own city state anyway.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Mary, Lord Hall is from Wokingham. Sad I know. Here is what Leeds boy Jeremy Paxman said about the south, you will like this Mary, "Imagine coming from Middlesex - what a terrible, terrible thing to have to live with."

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

That's a circular argument.

However, there is nothing wrong with dividends. They encourage shareholder investment....

Reply to
Andy Hall