compression fittings..... pah!

Appalling senile missadvice. DO NOT use PTFE on the olive when using copper pipe. Use a "smear" of jointing paste. "Always" use good quality compression joints, like Conex and Kuterlite. Don't complain if you bought el cheapo fittings and had problems. Wickes sell Conex fittings and at decent prices too.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Doctor Drivel

I did. Now you know, so be grateful.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Me too. As an Agricultural mechanic, so working on compression fittings on hydraulics etc for numerous years. It's not a new science for me, just seems that the last batch of isolation valves I picked up seem to have given no end of problems WRT leaking.

Reply to
PeTe33

Think most know by now that your joints have a habit of leaking...

Please explain in detail the actual difference in this application between 'jointing paste' - which could be anything - and PTFE tape?

Neither are strictly necessary anyway.

I always use end feed solder fittings. But then you need some skill to use them. They're far cheaper and neater looking too. And never leak.

The PTFE trick was taught to me by a plumber who could do the most beautiful pipe work you've ever seen. A true craftsman. Something you know nothing about.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Don't think, it does you no good

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Have you examined them for signs of damage? If the pipe is fine, and the olive and mating tapers all ok they really should be fine with no gunge.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I suspect that the brochure for whatever 'jointing paste' he's on about metioned using it on olives.

Reply to
Richard Conway

Why is PTFE wrong, but jointing paste is OK?

David

Reply to
Lobster

He is giving up his guard. This is either Maxie (lover boy), Plowman (the senile one), Lord Hall or Tomlinson (the nutter from JM uni). Fancy trying to be Russ Conway. Pathetic. Lunacy reigns supreme here.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Just because one fool here posts under various guises doesn't mean that we all do, no matter what the voices in your head keep telling you.

Reply to
Richard Conway

....and you are him!!!!! What made you think of a piano players name? Conway? Awful name. Think of a better one, like the Duke of Windsor or whatever.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

No point in asking Drivel anything that requires original thought. If he can't find the answer on a website or catalogue he's stumped.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The Duke of Windsor is not a name, its a title. I do play the piano as it happens (albeit badly) - but I was named long before I learnt to play.

Reply to
Richard Conway

You can easily change your name you know. How about Lord Hall. That's a good one.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

So it would appear

Reply to
Richard Conway

It really does appear that way.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Paste works its way into any imperfections where the fitting meets the olive.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The senile one is still at it. Must be time for mash at the home by now.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Yes, John. But most aren't ashamed of the one our parents gave us. Perhaps you never had any?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)