Compact connector for lighting flex?

I have a couple of lamps with soldered in twin flex that isn?t long enough. While I could desolder and solder in new flex, I?d rather add something on the end, but all the flex connectors I?ve found so far are capable of handling much more current than I need and consequently clumsily large. Is there anything out there that is slim and tidy?

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn

choc block in a plastic box?

Reply to
charles

This sort is about as slim as you'll get - rated 2 amp I think

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Use a miniature inline lamp switch?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Neatest way might be crimps and heat shrink sleeving.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Slimmest is solder & adhesive heatshrink.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Agreed.

Reply to
Capitol

Do the regs for flex require double insulation? In which case is a second layer of heatshrink good enough? It occurred to me I don't actually know the answer. Years ago many things used xmas light like cabling but I've never been sure if it was outlawed or just fell out of favour.

Reply to
Scott M

banned from mains use in the 70s

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I was going to say that. Stagger the crimps, and use "sticky" heat-shrink for the outer layer. If you can solder neatly, you can make it a bit slimmer with staggered soldered joints, individually heat shrinked, with sticky heat shrink over the lot.

Reply to
newshound

Nothing like as robust when walked on IMO.

Makes a lot more sense to just replace the flex IMO.

Reply to
hgww

I've done both of these (crimped and soldered) and the joints have survived several years out of doors. For a small wire the soldered method is better really.

Reply to
cl

Solder is much neater. They're weak alloys, but if you twist the conductors together first and use a decent length of join, solder lasts fine.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Solder and heat shrink.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Thanks to everyone who suggested this and the crimp version. I have all of those things and cannot for the life of me understand why I didn?t think of it myself! Particularly since I have done that in the past. Duh.

Reply to
Jon Fairbairn