Collision detection

Humans make mistakes. A warning can be an additional help. The problem can be if the car starts to apply the brake which may not be the appropriate thing to do.

Reply to
Michael Chare

I know. Just a comment.

Reply to
Frank

You know I was involved in a head on collision on your side of the pond. Everyone wore seat belts and nobody was hurt but I think both cars were totaled. I was not driving. Harrowing for me, as colleague actually born in the UK but forgot where he was, could not get another rental and I had to drive the rest of the way from London to York.

I was also involved in one where I was driving but a woman had turned in front of me and there was nothing I could do. I had on a seat belt and airbag went off. I was OK but woman was hospitalized. My car was totaled.

Reply to
Frank

Depends how well the car is designed. Completely automated cars like the google car have been shown to be 20 times less likely to cause an accident than a human driver.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

This has been noted lately. The electronics can make things complicated and distracting.

Reply to
Frank

Funny, I've always avoided anything that needed a seatbelt.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Modern cars shouldn't need heating controls. You set say "20C", and it adjusts itself as needed, just as we never have to adjust our house central heating anymore. You set it to your preferred temperature and never touch it all year.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I was pulled over many years ago and at that time, not wearing a seat belt was a secondary offense. That means cops couldn't pull you over just for that alone, they needed a primary offense then see if you weren't wearing the belt. The cop noticed I wasn't wearing my belt and reminded me he could write a ticket. I told him go ahead cause I'm never wearing the damn thing and continued my rant about big daddy trying to tell adults how to live their lives and blah blah blah. He let me finish my rant and said "I agree with you" and he didn't write a ticket. The original offense of speeding was let go with a warning. Ya see, not all cops are bad.

If I have a passenger, I tell them to either use it or click it behind them on the seat just to avoid hearing that stupid seat belt reminder.

Reply to
Meanie

The VW Tiguan has pedestrian monitoring. It will automatically brake if the driver doesn't respond to someone walking into its path.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

That would be classified as distraction in vehicle (3% of reported accidents), not as driver failed to look properly.

Reply to
Nightjar

Jeezo. JWS has a new sock puppet.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

The two of us couldn't be more different. You're not very clever are you?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Nar, Meanie is I think a Merkin from alt.home.repair. JWS aka Peter Hucker etc, etc etc cross posted/trolled there hoping to get attention for his nightly jack off.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

I use the opposite technique, I pretend to be nice and apologetic and innocent. Cops fall for it every time. In Scotland if you antagonise them they give you more tickets. I once got away with: faulty handbrake, bald tyre, soft tyre, split tyre (3 different tyres), missing (completely) exhaust, and 95mph in a 70mph limit.

Just disable it permanently. Mine is just a light, so I just painted over it. If it went ding I'd remove the dinger or short the switch in the belt clip. If you don't want to go to that much trouble, you can buy for a couple of dollars on Ebay a seatbelt warning remover. It's just a seatbelt clip with no belt on it. Leave it in the clip all the time and the car won't know any better. Big Brother is easy to fool.

Anything which only endangers yourself should never be against the law. Only you can decide the risks to take with your own life.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

No, I asked a question. That's what newsgroups are for. And unlike you I don't follow people around replying to every post they make. Has your wife locked you in the computer room again? Is she watching X Factor or something and you're trying to escape?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Does that give a smaller fine? Can I blame the wife?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

That makes sense. But making a (not very urgent sounding) "dong!" isn't going to help the driver avoid the pedestrian.

Mind you, should we avoid pedestrians that crossed without looking? All we're doing there is preserving defective genes.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Shocking.....I agree with you.

Reply to
Meanie

You've also managed to fool someone into thinking you're me. How worrying is that?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Your comment to him was dead on. So much time has passed and they failed to see the difference. He isn't very clever.

Reply to
Meanie