Collision detection

I'm surrounded by idiots - Albert Einstein.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

No, don't think so. I think it was based on the speed limits of most european countries which were 90/100 kmh for trucks/buses. Trust me, with a loaded truck you can go a shed load faster than 60mph down even a slight incline if you've already got it on the limiter and the incline is a reasonable length.

Dodgy, he can not only lose his job but lose his license too. Its probably an older limiter because the new ones are built into the engine management and need a bit of computer hackery to disable.

Reply to
boltar

So they're badly designed then? You'd think it'd drop a gear or apply the brakes.

Nah, the limiter "must have broken officer".

Must be older, he ain't clever enough to do computery stuff to it.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

They're just engine limiters, not a cruise control. Anyway, you can't drop a gear if its a manual box.

Yeah, that'll work, I'm sure no one has every tried that one before!

Reply to
boltar

My kid brother has been a trucker for decades, and when the limitter laws came out he said "those things will kill someone" A few days before his 40th birthday it almost killed him. On a long slight downgrade out of Calgary after a week-long rain he dropped one trailer wheel off the pavement into the soft wet gravel on a curve, and with the truck just slightly over-running the limitter he was unable to apply power to pull the load back onto the pavement and it pulled the whole rig, upside-down, into a gully. He litterally "walked away" with a broken kneck and first respoders could not believe he was the driver and had survived. Took the whole top and sleeper off the cab, and the only thing still connecting the cab to the chassis was one air conditioning hose.He did "get back on the horse" and drove for quite some time after recovering, but is now working part time as a crane operator in the oilfields instead.

Reply to
clare

Doesn't sound a whole lot safer tbh!

Reply to