Cloth covered cord?

Hi All,

Mum called the other day to say that after cleaning their 'lowerable' center light in the lounge it blew the downstairs lighting fuse in the CU.

Upon inspection the rubber wire insulation inside the cloth covered core had become brittle and shorted so I remove the lot and stripped it down sorta just out of interest (with the thought of just hanging the existing light glass bowl / lamp up into a new rose).

But the actuall design is quite clever / straightforward and I extracted a 1m length of the cord from the winder mech and a simple cord change should have it back up and running (which they would like if possible as it matches the side lights etc).

So, has anyone seen a supplier of fairly light (~6mm od) twin core cloth covered cable please (it's only powering a 60W lamp).

All the best ..

T i m

p.s. They knew how to make things ~45 years ago ;-)

Reply to
T i m

Christopher Wray sells it.

How much do you need? Think I have some 'gold' coloured stuff lying around.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah, thanks for that (n Google) .. ;-)

Hmm, about 1m Dave (by the time I've stripped the ends etc) and thanks for your kind offer. I'll see what they want for 1m of 'white' and might come back to you if I may.

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Can you use the stuff used on smoothing irons? Surely that's still available!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I thouht of that Chris but it's a bit too large (diameter) to get sufficient turns on the tensioner / roller thingy.

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Often on these old things the original was single insulated, and only double insulated is now available. The larger OD can be a problem sometimes.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I think this was double insulated but from the bits I trimmed back at the time I didn't actually get to see anything that didn't turn to powder. ;-(

The middle bit felt ok though (the bit that was wraped round the tensioner) so I'll open that up to be sure.

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m