Composition of old cloth covered wire

What was the composition of that old cloth covered electrical wire? Obviously some sort of cloth. What kind? Then what was added to it to make it firm? From what I've seen it appears that some contained tar or some sort of wax. But the white and red wires were painted, and I dont think paint would adhere to wax. I'll take a wild guess and say that the earlier stuff was not the same as the later. For example the early knob and tube wire was thicker and seemed more tar-like, whereas the later stuff found in BX was of a different consistency, with less thickness.

Reply to
homeowner

Here's the Standard Handbook for Electrical Engineers - 1918 edition.

Vic Smith

Petroleum tar would quickly become brittle and break up into tiny particles. Coal tar will stay flexible for ever.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

Copper. -----