clesaning toilet channels

asking for advice on a product that effectively cleans the unseen water channels within the upper rim of a toilet. I need something that I can pop into the cistern so it charges the water up and then will clean the channels over a period of time as it flushes. I searched on google and ebay but didn't see anything specific for this. I don't need to clean the bowl itself, I've already done that with spirits of salts (fantastic stuff) but I had the toilet cistern pipe off this morning, held a mirror and shone a torch into the water flush channels and it's terrible brown sludge in there. Thanks for any pointers.

Reply to
tg

you should have poured the stuff down the pipe whilst you had it off.

Reply to
zaax

I never came across (!) that in the Kama Sutra

Reply to
geoff

Whatever you do, don't use those 'blue' thingy's that go in the cistern. I have long thought they corroded plastics and I now notice that many makes of siphon & fill valve state their use will void any warranty.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I had been using the blue cleansing tablets for a couple of years now. Noticed internal corrosion in the tank and so have moved to the ons you can clamp on the edge of the toilet. John.

Reply to
johnm01

those are worse, they fall in and are the main cause of blockages. And of course no chemical will clear them.

NT

Reply to
NT

What about blocking the U-trap with a balloon, and then filling the pan to the brim with descaler (doesn't need to be concentrated). Make sure the balloon is big enough not to be able to be forced down the pipework without bursting first.

Afterwards, you can either try and retrieve the balloon, or just burst it.

You might be able to wedge a sink plunger in instead.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Not sure I fancy a loo full of descaler with an inflated balloon stuck on the bottom... it's going to take a fair bit of effort to get it so stay in the ubend?

Maybe a bolloon full of water would be rather easier?

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Isn't that a medical technique ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

My old man did this and it works. Th etrick is to tape the balloon to a bit of tube first, then inflate the balloon in situ.

Removal is easy - open the tube and defate :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yes, and think how big a syringe you'd need!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Well, there is an old stirrup pump somewhere in the garage.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon