Clearance needed

I know someone, not currently accessible, who has a tall fridge/freezer and a short freezer. The first is at least 12 years old, privately imported f rom a europlug country. The second is recently acquired, I know not how. The installation instructions are not likely to be found.

I think that the backs of them are too close to the wall.

I found no guidance in the FAQ.

What would be a sensible separation to suggest?

Reply to
dr.j.r.stockton

tim won't be happy....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

nd a short freezer. The first is at least 12 years old, privately imported from a europlug country. The second is recently acquired, I know not how. The installation instructions are not likely to be found.

If the width is towards, but less than, 600 mm, I'd assume they were made t o occupy a standard kitchen unit space each.

(Similarly with depth.)

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Do they have spacers fitted to prevent them being too close to the wall? In case of doubt, 50mm should be plenty. I'd be more concerned what's above, restricting the airflow.

Reply to
GB

Do they/it have a condensor on the back? More recent models don't and the sides get warm...

Models that we've had with a condensor on the back had plastic spacers attached. However these could rotate to the same plane as the condensor. Which ever type I'd go for a couple of inches.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Really? Have the model number plates been removed?

Reply to
newshound

nd a short freezer. The first is at least 12 years old, privately imported from a europlug country. The second is recently acquired, I know not how. The installation instructions are not likely to be found.

normally anything that modern is easily found online by typing model no & ' manual'

  1. RTFM
  2. enough that it can get down to temp
  3. more space will see it run more efficiently
  4. So there's no hard cutoff.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

There are usually a couple of stand offs to prevent the thing being put too close to the wall and impacting the heat exchanger function. They don't need much of a gap at the back to work perfectly well.

More of a problem is when they are fitted under a kitchen bench with a matching front door in the style of the kitchen. Then there is very restricted air circulation for cooling and efficiency suffers.

50mm should be enough. There probably are a couple of spacer lugs on the back or a grill for the top to stop things falling down the back.

Rating plate should show power consumption, working fluid and model no.

Reply to
Martin Brown

General Answer

At the moment, the units are not accessible. All I know is that they are a s described, and that they are very close to a wall or similar obstruction

- and that on each case the present gap is less than the thickness of my li ttle fingers, say 0.5". Neither is in a kitchen.

It will be a major effort to read anything that may be on the back of it; t oo much will have to be moved.

ASIDE : I also wanted to know the model number of their microwave oven. I could not find it on the rear plate(s). We eventually realised that it was written on the front, in the same manner as the legends for the controls. Mine has it on the back.

Therefore, the answer is 2 inches or 50 mm, and thanks to those who gave it .

I think that the FAQ Index should contain an entry "Standards", linking to an article which lists them, by links or otherwise.

For example : BS 1362/3 Building Regulations Electricians - Part P (link) ISO 3103 (link) Kitchen units - standard kitchen unit space is 60 x 60 x 85 cm (if correct ) Units of Measurement?

Reply to
dr.j.r.stockton

Fridges/freezers tend to have the rating plate inside them. Might be hidden by the salad veg crisper box and/or be in either compartment.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice