low-clearance drill needed

I just finished a TV cabinet for a client. Now she wants glass doors added.

I have the doors and associated hardware on order. The hinges will mount in plastic pivots that sit in holes drilled into the face frame. The holes will need to be VERY close to the corner of the opening. I wish I could have drilled these before final assembly and painting. Oh, well....

Can anyone recommend a tool for drilling holes very close to a perpendicular surface?

Reply to
Steve

What about a flex shaft like this?

looks like it's primarily for driving screws, but I imagine if you had a hex shank drill bit, and kept it fairly slow, you could drill up very close to another surface. Good luck, Andy

Reply to
Andy

"Andy" wrote in news:1175222604.291158.10670 @b75g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

Great suggestion! I'll go to Rockler tomorrow.

At $7, I can't go wrong. I spend all day using my drill, so I'm sure I'll find lots of other uses.

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Steve

Eggbeater drill.

Reply to
Father Haskell

How about chucking the drill bit in an old fasioned Yankee push-style screwdriver??

Reply to
HDRDTD

Steve wrote: : I just finished a TV cabinet for a client. Now she wants glass doors : added.

: I have the doors and associated hardware on order. The hinges will mount : in plastic pivots that sit in holes drilled into the face frame. The holes : will need to be VERY close to the corner of the opening. I wish I could : have drilled these before final assembly and painting. Oh, well....

: Can anyone recommend a tool for drilling holes very close to a : perpendicular surface?

Yes. It's called a push drill, and works great for exactly this application. Used to be a common tool -- you might dig one up in an antiques mall, or from an oldtools dealer. I think either Lee valley or Woodcraft had a new one recently but I'm not positive.

-- Andy barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

You might look at a "flexible drill extension". I DAGed that and came up with several possibilities. Here's one:

mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Steve wrote in news:Xns9902CDA085E7184365720018436572@

66.250.146.128:

I knew there had to be some tool out there, but I was at a loss. Thanks to everyone who helped.

I'm gonna go with the flex extension for my drill. I found some good-quality ones at the stores, and I'll pick one of those. It will even be handy for other jobs.

I posted a picture of the cabinet in alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking, but the glass doors aren't on yet. They're on order, and installation will have to wait awhile. I just had rotator cuff surgery, and therapy doesn't even start for another week.

Reply to
Steve

A first class adaptor:

a driver-shank drill bit, that tool has made mt life a lot easier. I also have a proper angle drill, but this little tool is a lot cheaper.

Reply to
Robatoy