Cleaning cooker help

Through lack of maintenance on my part hehe our cooker is now smoking a bit when in use setting the fire alarm off occasionally which is my motivation for cleaning it.

I rubbed down the wire rack and tray with a wire brush come up and treat as there was baked on crap on both.

But its still smoking obviously inside where stuff has gone splat. I tried conventional scrubbing but made no progress as it was beyond baked on. I guess its time to put chemicals to work ?

In the past I tried mr muscle oven cleaner whilst it tickled the burnt on stuff it didn't really do much.

I'm not expecting to bring it back to new but would like to get a decent finish.

The glass is completely covered in baked on stuff, I'm guessing the chance of seeing through that again are gone lol...

Having never got this involved with the cooker I was wondering if anyone knows what I can use.

Slap on my wrist for not cleaning it once a month or something.

Advice greatly recevied gents *thumbs up*

Reply to
Joseph

Plenty of contractors will do this at a reasonable price. The chemicals they use don't seem to be available on the open market.

Reply to
stuart noble

Dirty git! Southerner?

got it for less than 3 quid in a cheap shop. It works very well indeed. Take care and wear the gloves supplied, this is nasty stuff.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Doktor Power (not found everywhere, I get mine from Makro) is absolutely amazing at removing the sticky polymerised cooking oil from deep fat fryers and stainless cooker splashbacks.

Reply to
Newshound

The Medway Handyman

I wouldn't have thought of looking there!

Reply to
Newshound

For the glass door, take it off and dismantle it as many are double skin. Its the only way to access the bits in the middle. Most doors just lift off, may have a small lever or something to hold in place. Get all the bits over to the sink and use brillo pads. I just done one it took about hour and didnt scratch the glass.

Reply to
ss

There's only one checmical to use, caustic soda. Decent oven cleaner products have it in at 10x the price. The easy way is to mix caustic with water, brush it over the whole oven interior, place a shallow tray of water in the bottom, and switch the oven on.

To clean the glass, give it a soak in boiling alkaline water irst, the crud will then be very soft for a number of minutes, and can be got off with acopper scourere. Don't use a steel scourer, sometimes it scratches the glass and damages it.

Do bear in mind that caustic soda is caustic, it will burn you if it can.

NT

Reply to
NT

I cleaned my glass with a paste of soda crystals, washing powder and water. Coated the glass, left it overnight, then scraped the grease off with a Stanley knife blade. Perfect. The inside I had to attack several times with concentrated solution of soda crystals in boiling water. Warm oven up and leave the solution on for a few hours. If you really want to be entertained, you can switch the oven on and the melted fat bubbles up into big crisps which you can just scrape off with a plastic scraper! Left it like new.

Reply to
Maria

lol, bless. No. am a northern monkey.

> We got it for less than 3 quid in a cheap shop.

I'll give it a go and maybe the caustic soda idea.

Reply to
Joseph

...snip...

I clean the glass as follows...

  1. Go to B&Q or similar and find one of those "paint scrapers" which takes Stanley blades and uses the full width of the blade. Make sure you have a couple of spare blades by the sound of the state of your cooker!

  1. Scrape off the burnt on crap. Almost all of it should come off with careful work, replacing the blade if it dulls. Remember to do both sides of the glass

  2. Finish off by cleaning the last few bits using Brillo pads.

You should be able to get the glass back to almost as new - especially if you unscrew the know and possibly even hinges to make it simpler to get at the bits which they obscure.

Finally, if you have a reasonably modern oven, it's probably self cleaning on the interior. Do NOT put on caustic, instead open some windows, whack the temp up to 250degC and let the heat and self-cleaning coating do the rest. Worth doing this regularly to keep the crap down - even with tin foil etc. there's always some splashing.

Paul DS.

Reply to
Paul D Smith