Classy Sids Law

Wife's sister and their mum arriving on monday afternoon for a few days.
Decided to test a previously unused rad in the bedroom I am decorating for
Rad requires bleeding and takes too long.
So I check the weater pressure and its near zero. I start to refill when
22mm speedfit pipe unhinges itself from the brass stop valve. The valve
more than the 3ft from the combi.
Not too much water spilt as I was quickly into valve shutting mode.
So I refit with a new olive.
I checked the speedfit site and I now realise that I had forgotten the pipe
insert during the
initial installation.
I checked wickes web site and they sell speedfit but don't seem to have
speedfit pipe inserts.
They have other pipe are all/most pipe inserts generically
Assuming that refitting the speedfit with pipe inserts will fix the problem
that is 'visible to me' Anything else I need to know?
PS I turned off the water to the rads so we have hot water.
Reply to
Pipe inserts are not compatible between brands.
You will need to buy the Speedfit ones or replace the complete fitting.
Reply to
Andy Hall
There are _two_ variants of pipe inserts; the 'normal' style and the 'Super Seal' type.
The 'normal inserts are 'just' a piece of plastic sleeve that fits into and stiffens the pipe and with a flange that's the diameter of the pipe: the 'Super Seal type have two O rings; a small one on the insert and a larger one at the flange. {BTW, they're available in 15 mm; 22 mm and AFAIK 28 mm sizing].
IMHO, the 'Super Seal' type is the style to use. There's only buttons in the cost for what you're trying to do, so go for it. { I buy mine in bags of 25 for 22mm and 50 for 15 mm from Plumb Center(sic)].
Ensure that the plastic pipe is cut off square and that there's no visible gap between the pipe's 'shoulder' and the insert's flange ~ this is very easy to 'see' with the black 'Super Seal' O Ring rather more difficult to 'see' with a normal flange white against pipe white.
Oh, whatever anyone tells you ;- do not , I repeat do not, use a hacksaw to cut the plastic pipe ! [The actual cutter isn't too expensive . I use a 'Rothenberger' ~ "All the plumbers use this one", said the yoof at the trade-counter, I haven't compared it to anything else -but it works for me
Reply to
Brian Sharrock
In message , Arthur2 writes
We shall rename it after you ...
and the operation is called "Doing a Drivel" BTW
Reply to

Site Timeline Threads

  • Soooooo since no one is mentioning building something I'll mention the POS I...
  • site's last updated in


HomeOwnersHub website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.