Circlip or C-clip?

Probably a waste of time but here is the mech of a pop-up bath plug control.

On the other end of the shaft is a big knob that hides the bath overflow.

The plug had stopped popping up and when I looked at the mech, it was obvious that the plate linking the crank on the shaft to the cable had become detached due to a missing retaining clip.

The crank is about 7.3mm in diameter but I guess it's the diameter of the groove for the clip that matters.

Looking at sets of circlips on eBay I notice that 7mm seems to be missing but there are 6mm one available.

Alternatively there are C clips that come in 6 or 7 mm size.

Any suggestions as to which would be best?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

For anyone unsure of which is which...

Examples of C clip.

& circlip.

Tim+

On 8 Jan 2018 14:11:14 GMT, Tim+ coalesced the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful comprehension...

Bugger, I've been calling them both Circlips for 50 years.

Reply to
Graham.

To be fair, I dare say that they?re both types of circlips. I wouldn?t trust eBay as an authority on naming. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Starlock washer?

Steve

Thanks but I don't think one of those would have fitted. They're normally for smooth shafts, not ones with a machined groove.

Anyhow, all rather academic now as I was only thinking of repairing this one as a "spare" having already purchased and fitted a new one.

I realised that I'd accidentally thrown away one of the rather important seals before deciding to repair it. Doh!

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I'd say circlip would be better, 6 mm will probably fit. C clip would probably work too.

Reply to
newshound

The temporary alternative would be a bit of wire with the ends twisted together.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Would you also need to know what material its made from as if it does get wet or whosoever it can corode. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The generic name is pingfuckits.

Eye protection advised...

They are usually made from sprung steel of a type which corrodes very quickly if there's any moisture around.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I would have gone for a brass C clip...

Reply to
John Rumm

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

Indeed! Having mentioned C clips and circlips, there are also R clips, which have the advantage of being slightly easier to grab hold of than C clips or circlips.

Reply to
Graeme