Chubb combination lock - any ideas what version is this?

I picked up a little safe yesterday from the council tip:

that someone had thrown away. (Sadly, unless it's packed so full with money that the contents can't even move, I think it's empty.)

Can anyone tell by looking at this whether it is a three or four disc lock, or even what the particular model is?

Thanks,

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

It looks a bit bit less fancy than one I had which used three two digit numbers.

Roger Dewhurst

I don't think it is either. Manifoil locks usually use a 0-100 scale where 0 and 100 are coincident, that lock has a dead space between 0 and 100. It is incidentally probably a key safe.

Reply to
Peter Parry

So what sort of mechanism do you think this might be, or what it is called?

Daniele

Reply to
D.M. Procida

Why not send an email to Chubb and ask them?

Reply to
Roger Dewhurst

Yes.

But not me.

It's a moderately well-known Chubb range, distinguished by the gap in the dial. They weren't particularly good. There's an active locksmiting Usenet group BTW, although it's mostly Americans.

Is it open, and can you get the case off the back of the lock itself? If so, you're laughing. Only takes me about 15 minutes to read the combination of a Manifoil if it's accessible (allow 30 for your first time). Even if you have to angle-grind the back off the box, open the lock and then re-weld it, it's do-able.

Tip - Angle grind a box like this open by grinding the corners off at

45degrees, not by using a cutting disk to make a slot. The spatter stays outside, and it's a much easier repair afterwards...
Reply to
Andy Dingley

Yes.

But not me.

It's a moderately well-known Chubb range, distinguished by the gap in the dial. They weren't particularly good.

There's an active locksmiting Usenet group BTW, although it's mostly Americans. Might be worth asking there?

Is it open, and can you get the case off the back of the lock itself? If so, you're laughing. Only takes me about 15 minutes to read the combination of a Manifoil if it's accessible (allow 30 for your first time). Even if you have to angle-grind the back off the box, open the lock and then re-weld it, it's do-able.

Tip - Angle grind a box like this open by grinding the corners off at

45degrees, not by using a cutting disk to make a slot. The spatter stays outside, and it's a much easier repair afterwards...
Reply to
Andy Dingley

That's "not particularly good for Chubb" BTW, they're still better than anything else you're likely to buy new!

Reply to
Andy Dingley

This may help, it's definitely not a MkIV.

hate the damned things.

Reply to
Steve Firth

No it won't. Totally different kit.