Combination door lock for external use

Our garage gets used quite a lot, and the key tends to stay in the back door lock, day and night.

A way around this would be to fit a keypad combination lock, similar to those you see in offices, so that the door locks automatically every time it is shut, and the frustration of returning to the house to look for the key is avoided.

Has anyone heard of such a lock that is suitable for external use, ideally costing less than =A3100?

Tony

Reply to
tonyjeffs

Screwfix do a range of them from £35:

Alan

Reply to
A.Lee

similar

cal-Push-Button>

Yes, excellent concept. I have them on my back door, my garden office, and my barn - saves walking 500 yds and then returning for the key. They are all backed up by conventional locks.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

"conventional locks?" Keyless ones ?

Reply to
stillnobodyhome

automatically

office,

Conventional locks with conventional keys that are used when I do my evening estate round putting the chicken to bed and again first thing in the morning letting them out. However during the daytime no need to carry a bunch of keys.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Thanks I never thought of ScrewFix, They're reasonably priced too. I'll buy one.

Reply to
tonyjeffs

In message , A.Lee writes

Does anyone know how straightforward (or otherwise) these are to fit? Does it just replace the existing handles on either side of the door?

Thanks.

Reply to
Graeme

door?

I've fitted two that were 'green field installs' in that no other lock was involved, and they were very easy. I've also installed a third where there was an existing lock I wanted to use it with, and it was a major pain as I couldn't use the templates that they provide.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I bought one from Screwfix. =A335.99. Excellent - easy to fit. The door section needs to be wide enough to take a 65mm barrel. I can't see it being totally weather resistant through the winter, so I'll attach a hanging piece of dpm or similar to protect it.

Tony

Reply to
tonyjeffs

In message , Andrew Mawson writes

Ah. Thanks - I was afraid it would not be as simple as a quick replacement.

Reply to
Graeme

Why not keep the existing locks and fit a combination keysafe by the door? They're not expensive compared to a good lock.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

One piece of advice, check how easy it is to change the combination. I have a friend who is a locksmith, he came to work and fitted a good quality combination lock. Takes around a minute to change the combination He saw some other locks around the site and said I bet the combination is still at the factory setting, he was right. I know of other premises with the same lock still set to the factory setting

Steve

Reply to
Steve Walford

responding to

Jackel wrote: Digital lock system is consider good and convenient for the external lock. No one can break its security as well as access its password easily which lead to feel secure in a house. Biometric is an other example of it...

Jackel

Reply to
Jackel

Of course some charlies can't even write passable English. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The ones linked (AFAICT the links don't work) are piss easy to break, either physically or guessing the combination as the order of button pushing isn't relevant. If the code is "4271", "7214" will also open the lock. Once one has been in use a while careful inspection of the buttons will show wear on those that are used frequently, ie the ones used to enter the code...

And another parasitic web based leach site.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I notices the post was from 2008

whisky-dave

Leech. it sucks blood, rather than washes away :)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ