Christmas Snake Oil anyone ?. (V expensive mains extension block).

Boredom has set in already, so it's time to check out the online sales, but for some reason I clicked on my HiFi choice bookmark by mistake and noticed this product :-
http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/news/article/isotek-competition/25866/
"While the basic mains cables that come bundled with components do a good job of getting it the power it needs to run, they invariably lack the quality of materials and high-end construction that are required to protect the integrity of the electricity, resulting in a significant reduction in quality."
err, what do powerline ethernet extenders do to the 'quality' of the electriccery ?. PS It retails at £695 :-)
"seven lucky runners up will get an Evo3 Initium mains cable (worth £75)." Oooh. A £75 kettle lead. Crikey.
On 25/12/17 15:37, Andrew wrote:

Go well with their Audis and their Apples, then...
--
In todays liberal progressive conflict-free education system, everyone
gets full Marx.

Is this Russ Andrews' loss-leader brand?
--
Davey.

Is this our old friend again? Everyone knows he only sells placebo effects to the gullible. it has to be good it cost hundreds. What the rest of the mains is still rubbish, ah but every little good bit helps. Where is the sick bag.
Brian
--
----- -
On Tuesday, December 26, 2017 at 8:45:34 AM UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:

od

?75)."

Thats not placebo effect its veblen
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veblen_good
On 26/12/17 16:19, fred wrote:

Currently it would perhaps be recognised more as "Apple" rather than "Veblen"...
--

Jeff

Is this Uncle Russ Andrews wearing his Santa Disguise? Brian
--
----- -

Yes.
It's utter shit, of course.
--
Today is Setting Orange, the 68th day of The Aftermath in the YOLD 3183
On 26/12/2017 09:58, Huge wrote:

I went to wire a boiler up for the sort of wanker that buys this sort of stuff.
Two massive speakers in the lounge and in the garage at the other side of the lounge wall was a roll of speaker wire from one of the speakers wrapped around the fuse box.
It was explained to me that "This was to keep both lengths of speaker wire the same as it sounds better".
The next time I work for such a wanker I shall offer "the same cable length at the roomstat" as an optional extra for £100. I have no doubt they will pay for it once I have explained to them how "the induction current due to having a longer switched live than neutral cable at the stat may alter the hysteresis operation of the room stat and reduce it's performance".
Of course I'll stick on my magic meter to show this working (well a mutlimeter) but I think that they will happily cough up an extra £100 for a much better wired roomstat.
--

Adam

I think I'd tend to make both speaker leads about the same length. Propagation delay is obviouslly irrelevant, signal amplitude difference well down in the noise, but the different effective output impedance of the amplifier *might* affect the damping and therefore amplitude and phase of the frequency response of the speaker in an audible way. Probably not, but I would anyway.
--

Roger Hayter

On Tuesday, 26 December 2017 21:42:37 UTC, Roger Hayter wrote:

oubt

100

An 8ohm speaker is 6-7 ohms dc resistance. A metre of 1mm^2 cable is 44mohm , so 2.5 metres is 0.11ohms. So no detectable difference on the sound whats oever.
NT

The resistance is not what's being discussed. What's the impedance at say 5kHz?
--
"If you're not able to ask questions and deal with the answers without feeling
that someone has called your intelligence or competence into question, don't

Impedance of the cable when being driven by a 0.1 ohm or so source? Irrelevant.
--
*Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Are you sure that the effect on the source impedance that the speaker sees cannot be significantly affected by a comparable series resistance? What about the story of speaker damping?
--

Roger Hayter

On 27/12/17 01:24, Roger Hayter wrote:

no story. one of the reasons a Vox AC30, beloved of Brian may, sounds the way it does is that it has an output impedance of around 80 ohms...
Marshall top is around 8...

Are you talking about cable resistance or its impedance at a specific frequency?
Obviously you use cable with a suitably low resistance to maintain that damping factor.
The question would be can any cable likely to be used have a suitably low resistance, but a high impedance at any frequencies within the audio range?
--
*If you lived in your car, you'd be home by now *

This is all sounding terribly like the complaints the BBC received in the early 80s when Radio 3 started broadcasting music from CDs. " They sound terrible - digital does that to sound." But you haven't noticed that the distribution to the transmitters has been digital for about 10 years."
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

All I was saying was that if the output impedance of the amplifier has an effect on speaker response *and* the lead resistance (which is going to be largely independent of audio frequency) is a significant part of amplifier output impedance *then* it may be reasonable to make both speaker leads about the same resistance. I am not sure when both conditions are met, but it costs little to make both speaker cables the same length.
Actually, in practice I buy speakers with buil-in amplifiers so I don't have to worry about such things.
--

Roger Hayter

In a domestic environment, you'd have to try hard to find speaker cable with such a high DC resistance that differing lengths would have any effects.
--
*Do they ever shut up on your planet?

And that's apart from all the other variables, like the quality of the speakers, the recording, and even the way the room is furnished, and also the ability of the listener to actually hear any difference.
PS I watched the BBC program about Patsy and Edina visiting the champagne region of France and noticed that Patsy doesn't seem to have aged at all unlike Edina (Jennifer). This was followed by the 2001? Christmas edition of AbFab and I noticed the name Jon Plowman on the list of credits. Is he a relative of yours ?.