Christmas Snake Oil anyone ?. (V expensive mains extension block).

Boredom has set in already, so it's time to check out the online sales, but for some reason I clicked on my HiFi choice bookmark by mistake and noticed this product :-

"While the basic mains cables that come bundled with components do a good job of getting it the power it needs to run, they invariably lack the quality of materials and high-end construction that are required to protect the integrity of the electricity, resulting in a significant reduction in quality."

err, what do powerline ethernet extenders do to the 'quality' of the electriccery ?. PS It retails at £695 :-)

"seven lucky runners up will get an Evo3 Initium mains cable (worth £75)." Oooh. A £75 kettle lead. Crikey.

Reply to
Andrew

Go well with their Audis and their Apples, then...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Is this Russ Andrews' loss-leader brand?

Reply to
Davey

Is this our old friend again? Everyone knows he only sells placebo effects to the gullible. it has to be good it cost hundreds. What the rest of the mains is still rubbish, ah but every little good bit helps. Where is the sick bag.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Is this Uncle Russ Andrews wearing his Santa Disguise? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes.

It's utter shit, of course.

Reply to
Huge

So you then replace all the wiring in the house, then street etc, with the same 'high quality' stuff?

And how about the mains connector on the amp etc itself?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's laughable that the last few metres of cable would make any discernible difference when the power comes from multiple different sources, through all manner of connections and transformers, and have all sorts of interference from all manner of noisy loads. It's beyond belief, the disconnection of logic.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

*applause*
Reply to
Huge

I gave up even opening one particular "HiFi" magazine following an article which told me that a mains plug with gold plated pins inproved the stereo separation.

Reply to
charles

All product magazines only exist to rake in advertising revenue by hyping whatever manufacturers produce. And Mfrs only exist to maximise profits by inflating prices and cutting costs. You won't find reality in product magazines.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Do Live and Neutral separately carry the left and right channels ?.

Reply to
Andrew

Surely you really need Left and Right channels powered by separate phases?

With 3rd phase reserved for the turntable motor and a resistive load to balance the total power across phases.

The resistive load might be mounted on the outside of the house for maximum thermal dissipation.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

The one that gets me is the phrase

"integrity of the electricity"

What the h*ll does that mean?

Reply to
Woody

Thats not placebo effect its veblen

fred

It isn't beyond belief. Quite the reverse. It's ALL belief.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

TRhe same as 'social justice''

Nothing.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I went to wire a boiler up for the sort of wanker that buys this sort of stuff.

Two massive speakers in the lounge and in the garage at the other side of the lounge wall was a roll of speaker wire from one of the speakers wrapped around the fuse box.

It was explained to me that "This was to keep both lengths of speaker wire the same as it sounds better".

The next time I work for such a wanker I shall offer "the same cable length at the roomstat" as an optional extra for £100. I have no doubt they will pay for it once I have explained to them how "the induction current due to having a longer switched live than neutral cable at the stat may alter the hysteresis operation of the room stat and reduce it's performance".

Of course I'll stick on my magic meter to show this working (well a mutlimeter) but I think that they will happily cough up an extra £100 for a much better wired roomstat.

Reply to
ARW

I think I'd tend to make both speaker leads about the same length. Propagation delay is obviouslly irrelevant, signal amplitude difference well down in the noise, but the different effective output impedance of the amplifier *might* affect the damping and therefore amplitude and phase of the frequency response of the speaker in an audible way. Probably not, but I would anyway.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

An 8ohm speaker is 6-7 ohms dc resistance. A metre of 1mm^2 cable is 44mohm , so 2.5 metres is 0.11ohms. So no detectable difference on the sound whats oever.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr