Snake oil?

Advertised in our local free rag, and claims to ave up to 15 of heating bills.

"Due to the surface tension of fluid and imperfections in materials inside heating systems optimal thermal contact is not made. When dosed EndoTherm? stably changes the surface tension of the fluid by over 60% whilst remaining non-corrosive. This increases the thermal contact which improves heat transfer rate and heating efficiency. Resulting in rooms reaching determined temperature quicker and staying warmer for longer. Return water temperature is lower which allows boilers to condensate more efficiently and recover more latent heat. Less fuel is consumed to maintain thermostatically set temperature."

Ummm...washing up liquid?

£30+VAT for a bottle or more to have it added by a "professional".

They claim to be an Energy Saving Trust product of the year but a list of these products is elusive.

Anyone come across this (or for that matter endorsements by the EST)?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

I was just thinking the same. I us it to break down the surface tension of water to wash vinyl records. Actually the effect of such things in a heating loop have to be minimal due to temperature ranges and pressures involved. It might help remove sludge and move it about a bit Supposes, but little else.

Brian-

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I heard something on TV the other night saying that bubbles insulate and keep heat in, this was explaing why bubbles in the bath keep the water hotter than a bath without bubbles. Not sur ehow it changes when sitting in the bath farting bubbles though. I think they mean just a bath full of water without anyone in it.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Ah - right. So without it, much of the heat the boiler produced went straight out the flue?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The "Energy saving product of the year" seems to refer to an award in

2016 by CIBSE. There are so many trade awards (and dinners to present them) in the building industry it is very hard to find a product that hasn't won something.

The EST seem to be a bunch of greenwashing muesli munchers who require payment for their particular endorsement.

Of Endotherm they say "Laboratory testing, and studies carried out in samples of domestic and non-domestic properties, shows that EndoTherm has been effective in reducing energy and fuel consumption with condensing boilers.* These results are specific to the cases studied. Similar performance improvements may not be realised in other heating systems. Potential performance improvements depend on the current performance, condition and settings of the heating system. Based on performance data and instances reviewed comprising results from Enertek test report E3363 (dated 14th January 2014); RCT Homes field trial report from Atega and non-domestic case studies. Correct as of January 2017 and valid for 12 months."

The EST are rather coy about the fee they charge for "approving" products.

"Energy Saving Trust verification takes into account product performance data from test reports, field trials or other independent data sources, combined with the development of tailored and bespoke marketing claims ready-to-use in your marketing materials."

Reply to
Peter Parry

8

That's often corrosive, I think.

Reply to
Rob Morley

A lot of them have a high salt content, a purer detergent like Teepol may be more benign but it is years since I was involved with using it ( as a lubricant on a chain conveyor )so ICBW.

GH

Reply to
Marland