Christmas Snake Oil anyone ?. (V expensive mains extension block).

The resistance is not what's being discussed. What's the impedance at say 5kHz?

Reply to
Tim Streater

But a good quality audio amplifier may have an output impedance of around 50milliohm at low frequencies, so the damping effect on an 8ohm speaker may be significantly affected by an extra series 110 milliohms. This may not be an important effect, depending on the speaker design, but for about 20p worth of wire I am inclined not to risk it.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Good point. Religious, almost.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I already explained why it isn't.

there is no risk

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You have explained why it wouldn't be if speaker cabinets contained only an 8ohm non-inductive resistance. But they wouldn't be much use if they did..

Reply to
Roger Hayter

I remember the start of this crap over 40 years ago.

A that thime Litz wire was very popular for various 'sound' improvements. It was reported in ISTR HFN that a Frenchman had gone on record that by using Litz wire between the front doorbell push and the bell itself significantly improved the "tintinabular sonority" or the bell when it rang.

Seems there still not all locked up yet........

Reply to
Woody

Impedance of the cable when being driven by a 0.1 ohm or so source? Irrelevant.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Are you sure that the effect on the source impedance that the speaker sees cannot be significantly affected by a comparable series resistance? What about the story of speaker damping?

Reply to
Roger Hayter

It's like the global warming nutters

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

It was explained to me when I was a child, by one of my dad's customers, that the inner core of coaxial cable carried the sound, and the outer screen carried the picture. His certainty must have been challenged when ITV started, I suppose.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

no story. one of the reasons a Vox AC30, beloved of Brian may, sounds the way it does is that it has an output impedance of around 80 ohms...

Marshall top is around 8...

Reply to
Tjoepstil

asserting a falsehood is not proof.

Reply to
Tjoepstil

Tintin probably sums it up.

Reply to
Tim Streater

that isn't what I said. But I can see discussing is a waste of time. This ever happens when discussing electronics in a diy group.

Reply to
tabbypurr

it might have actually done so by introducing a pile of resistance in the wiring.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

There *is* logic, and while it doesn't appeal to you because you can pull it apart on technical and (to a point) common sense grounds, it does to others.

I'd list the following variables, roughly in order that inform choice: ability to pay, lack of technical knowledge, effective marketing, gullibility, expectation of improved sound, vanity, and bragging rights.

It doesn't wind me up especially - people waste their money on far more unpleasant things. In fact, bit like buying a posh car :-)

Reply to
RJH

I know you didn't say that. But your argument only applies rigorously to a resistor. A speaker contains not only complex reactive elements but is also non-linear. That doesn't by any means prove you're wrong, but does make the simple comparison of resistors (which easily 'proves' the external resistance negligible) an inadequate proof that you are right.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Are you talking about cable resistance or its impedance at a specific frequency?

Obviously you use cable with a suitably low resistance to maintain that damping factor.

The question would be can any cable likely to be used have a suitably low resistance, but a high impedance at any frequencies within the audio range?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The ear actually has a rather poor memory, in absolute terms. Add to that if you've gone to the bother of paying good money for new leads, you do so expecting an improvement. Then things like listening after a decent meal and perhaps drink effect how you hear things too.

Which is why the only way to really assess things like cables is by blind testing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Speaker resistance is effectively in series with cable resistance and everything else. It makes ultralow source impedance or huge damping factors pointless.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr