Christmas Reassembler

Best thing I've seen so far this Xmas (although hopefully Sherlock will be good).

For a country that likes to pretend it has an engineering base, the fact that you need to buy screwdrivers from the US* might have provoked some cognitive dissonance in some.

(*One thing I've noticed is that US tools are ****ing good -if annoyingly non-metric. I wonder where they learned that ?)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Oh, and bolt/screw ... slot, pozidrive or phillips - screw. Hexagonal (internal or external) - bolt.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

It's only half a show at present, though, IMHO. It would be *way* better if James *rebuilt* stuff from scratch: disassemble, assess condition of constituent components, repair/replace/renovate, *then* reassemble. Just my 2p worth.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I didn't see the programme, so what was that about?

Reply to
Davey

Bob Minchin

Those gripping screwdrivers? I've got a couple of those, of different sizes, purchased, as he says, in the US when I lived there. I had no idea they could not be bought here. Maybe I should get a friend to send/bring me a gross of them, and then sell them.

Reply to
Davey

I bought one of those about 50 years ago, here the UK, in the local tool shop. I have two or three more now.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Like these?

or for a cruder mechanism:

In case anyone is like me and wondering what this is all about, there's a patent that explains it:

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Maybe you should tell James May.

Reply to
Davey

En el artículo , Theo escribió:

I had a couple of those at work. They're not all they're cut up to be, the screw tends to pop off at the most inopportune moment.

a magnetised one is far more useful.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Or this:

?
Reply to
RJH

Why bother? A dollop of blu-tac will hold the screw on the screw driver (as a kid before blu-tac I used plassticine).

Alan

Reply to
Alan Dawes

James was using brass screws.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I have a version based on splitting the driver shaft diagonally. There is then a sliding collar which forces the two sections together. The two triangular shapes grip the screw slot more tightly as they change from a narrow rectangle to becoming more square.

A drawing would show this simply!

Not a tool for a production environment but handy for otherwise hard to manage jobs.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I have a couple - one cross head, one slot - bought from Maplin many years ago. They have a pair of sliding claws which grip the underside of the screw head, holding it on to the blade. Useful sometimes - but a bit of BlackTac on and ordinary screwdriver is often as good.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I also use whiteTac, BluTak and even pinkTac at work I wouldn't want to be called racist.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Davey used his keyboard to write :

I have one, but I find a blob of bluetack more useful to hold a screw on the tip of a driver, any screwdriver.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

When I first started TV servicing when I left school it was a habit to take a blob of wax from the nearest waxed paper capacitor with the end of the screwdriver.

It was a sad day when they stopped using wax - especially if the capacitors where made by TCC - they simply swapped molten wax for a liquid plastic but the capacitor itself was identical. After it had got covered with dust which took away the shine, it was virtually impossible to tell the difference.

I couldn't work out what was going on the first time my screwdriver bounced of the "wax" capacitor I'd chosen as donor ...

Reply to
Terry Casey