Christmas lecture

to one.

Coupling communities together as the buses fan out into the countryside.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

A 'viscous' circle eh? Not one you want to get stuck in then!

Reply to
Tim Streater

Do you mean need or want?

1000 years ago people would have been delighted with your once an hour bus service. ;-)
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If it is before its sell by date I'd expect it to be usable. When you do your own shopping you can pick the ones with the latest sell by date. Can make a difference to those with small families etc that don't get through a vast amount of food each day.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The reason that happens is because stupid women feel safer in them.

The alternative normal cars have just as good a range.

Reply to
John

Get on the train.

Reply to
harry

Yes it is. Widespread car ownership has only existed for forty years. We have had millenia without.

Reply to
harry

no I didn't

dim - wit!

tim

Reply to
tim...

Oh I am sure that you can send back stuff that is short dated, or overripe

but that doesn't get your cupboard full of your week's food, does it?

so you have to:

a) accept everything that is delivered. b) make a special trip for the things that they c*ck up. c) over order in the hope that you get to reject some stuff and then find you throw stuff away if you have to accept it all.

Now I am sure that a family of 4, who need 2 or 3 shopping loads per week can work around these issue

but a family of 1 or 2 who needs a large shopping load only once a fortnight can't

tim

Reply to
tim...

we even had a fully grocers van come round (even though we had three grocery shops within a short walk)

tim

Reply to
tim...

1000 years ago people could barely pay for what they needed

what I meant was that every village would have all of the "trades" that you could need

you didn't have to travel 30 miles to find someone to buy a replacement for a broken bucket, because that was where the nearest DIY store was. The smithy in the village would fix it for you.

tim

Reply to
tim...

I'm not sure they do. A neighbour's one was bought by the husband who hardly ever drives it. His wife preferred her previous small estate car.

Most Chelsea tractors use a great deal more fuel than a car big enough to take the kids to school.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oh yes you did, by incorrectly stating the minimum purchase requirement.

It was dim...wit actually. 'nuff said.

Reply to
Richard

Plenty of them do. I did say stupid women.

Range was what was being discussed, not fuel economy.

Reply to
John

but not because I lied

I said that I genuinely thought it was the rule

Reply to
tim...

Didn't realise I was replying to Wodney.

Range isn't a problem in the UK for taking kids to school in towns.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Pity its what was being discussed and you carefully deleted that from the quoting.

Reply to
John