Chosing a new PC

Meanwhile, at the uk.comp.os.linux Job Justification Hearings, chris chose the tried and tested strategy of:

These

eight pages are everything you ever wanted to know about PSUs, but were afraid to ask. The page with photos of connectors on is especially useful.

Reply to
alexd

Given this is uk.d-i-y - you might like to build something along these lines...

you can swap bits as often as you like.

2p worth (and testing posting from new Google groups).
Reply to
Devany

Anyone using a threaded newsreader will have seen your post as the start of a new thread. GG is better than nothing but it has its faults.

Reply to
Bernard Peek

Those of us using working threaded newsreaders didn't. HTH.

Reply to
John Williamson

It's all I currently have.

Any idea how to Reply properly?

If it's making me look like a noob it'll have to go.

Reply to
John Devany

Interesting. It's broken in Thunderbird 3.

Reply to
Bernard Peek

That's probably because TB3 is broken. That's why I uninstalled it and went back to TB2. TB3 is pants for reading usenet. It lost me a few e-mails, too.

Reply to
John Williamson

Google groups gets you put into a lot of killfiles without being read. It doesn't make you look like a noob in and of itself, but 99% of all spam comes from there, so a lot of people kill anything with either a Google Mail from: header, or anything from Google Groups without even looking at it.

The normal recommendation is to set up a (free) Eternal September account, and use a newsreader such as Agent, Thunderbird, or, if you're desperate, Outlook Express or Outlook. Windows Live Mail, as supplied in Vista and Windows 7 is about as much use as a chocolate teapot.

A lot of ISPs have their own news server, which is free for that network's users.

Reply to
John Williamson

And Pan

Reply to
John Stumbles

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Bernard Peek saying something like:

Not here.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

And, in the case of Virgin's newserver, recently crap. They now throttle usenet in the evening - but not just the binary groups, the do the lot.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Eternal-September = brilliant. I've been looking for that service since my ISP stopped supporting Usenet.

Thanks.

Reply to
Devany

Your GG postings are lacking the usenet References header which should attach them to the right parent articles. I've seen this from other people, I think it's a Google Groups bug. If you find and tick the box to "quote original article", GG should start putting the correct headers in.

(please remember to then delete most of the original article again in the usual way for snipping/trimming of replies !)

For some reason though GG puts in an email-style "In-Reply-To" header which some people's newsreaders, mostly those that do both news and mail, will accept as an alternative.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Leverton

There is no such box, GG always quotes all messages in full (at least when i use it).

The trick may be to select "more options" at the top of the message and then "reply" rather than the direct reply at the bottom, although the latter also includes the quoted text.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

This one sent by using the direct "reply" link at the bottom of your post in GG.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Thanks for the suggestion (and your other posting) - don't use GG myself but this is what I gathered from other newsgroups where the same GG problem cropped up. It is a bug of theirs, I think, anyway - other newsreaders get it right when following up.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Leverton

Did my posts display the same problem? When I look at the headers they include the references.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

The followups you made were all fine, yes.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Leverton

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember John Stumbles saying something like:

Many thanks for this post. It spurred me into finally updating my main box, which was struggling at bit as it was 5 years old. Now it's sporting a Phenom II 840 quad core (1), w.4GB ram and a reasonably future-proof m'bd, for pretty much the same price as novatech were quoting. I decided to hang on to the good bits of my system - the PSU and case are excellent and have been customised over the years, so I was reluctant to let them go and truth to tell, I wasn't too impressed with the cheap PSU/case of Novatech's offering.

Woohoo. Now I can play HD video with ease.

(1) I know it's really an Athlon, but it does the job and a six-core can be fitted in a couple of years.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon