PC problem

I keep getting adverts sometimes sound only in the background with Firefox. I also getting a lot of Pop up style boxes claiming I'm the lucky winner, yet pops ups are supposedly blocked. I just cant work out how to stop them.

Help they are driving me mad!

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Adblock plus.

Reply to
Adrian

Sounds more like a malware infected PC.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

mogga

Though that is now being criticised for offering to white list some ads based on various criteria plus a fee. Have not followed the story so maybe it is not quite how it initially looked.

What I see all the time is the relatively subtle level of malware such as Ask and other toolbars. They will typically uninstall reasonably well so it's maybe not fair to classify them along with overt malware. But they can cause havoc, confusion, performance issues, ...

Reply to
polygonum

That is the essence of it. companies can be white listed by default for certain types of ads if they pay a fee to Adblocks owners.

Some view this as a form of extortion thoguh (pay us or else....)

Reply to
chris French

I don't know about the criteria for whitelisting, but the whitelisted ads are switchable-off easily.

I can actually see the point. A lot of sites use advertising to pay for their hosting. If nobody saw adverts, then advertisers wouldn't pay. How, then, would the sites pay their way? Paywalls?

Reply to
Adrian

Machine compromised by adware or one sort or another, and no doubt a bunch of useless browser add ins and tool bars.

Grab a copy of Malwarebytes Antimalware, install, update and let it do a scan. That will probably fix it.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup, I try to be circumspect in my usage of Adblock as I do appreciate the sites that rely on advertising.

However I'm rather dubious of the latest practice of Adlock of charging companies to be allowed to show adverts

Reply to
chris French

+1 for the free version of Malwarebytes

Also from the same people

alan

Steve Walker

Also malwarebytes and often a complete wiping of Firefox and a re install.

However the ad blockers are being seen by sites and some refuse to let you in unless you switch them off. I forsee a war!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff