Choice of fixing - PB

What fixing do you recommend in a plasterboard wall there it is not possible to tighten the screws as the item need to slot onto it with keyhole slots?

Reply to
JohnP

How about those grip-it fixings, the body fits within a drilled hole to take the weight, the wings rotate behind to clamp the PB from both sides, then insert screw leaving enough proud for the keyhole to fit onto?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Is this 'spur' shelving, or one of the copycat products ?.

These are intended for heavy loads. Plasterboard won't support it.

I once bought some element32?? uprights because they were cheaper than Spur, but although the spur brackets would fit into the slots, the depth of the non-Spur upright was less than a proper spur upright, making it impossible to move the upright down to the horizontal position without munging two gouges out of the plaster.

Reply to
Andrew

Andrew snipped-for-privacy@mybtinternet.com wrote in news:s0rl6f$i89$1 @gioia.aioe.org:

No - it is an illuminated mirror needing 4 screws. Normally a tight screw provides some surface friction between the wall and the fitting that absorbs some of the downward force. I can't get at the screws once mounted so it is not possible to fully tighten them, Similar issue with other items.

Reply to
JohnP

There used to be fastenings that had a flange and you tightened against this, which left a small space between the flange and the head of the device. I have this name in my head something like fastbrolly. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

My approach in such cases tends to have been to make a larger hole and shove great gobs of car body filler thorough the holes and when set sand and paint to match the wall and then make the screw holes

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

and then depending on the depth of the plasterboard

ARW

+1

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

100% YES!!!

Avpx

Reply to
The Nomad

With a light item like this where it is unlikely to have any extra load on it - like say a shelf would - ordinary wall plugs should be quite ok.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Thnaks Brian, ARW and Nomad. Yes of course - tighten the machine screw to spread the anchor then slacken it.

Reply to
JohnP

Reply to
George Miles

If it's not hugely heavy I use screw in plasterboard fixings - google easyfix-self-drill-plasterboard-fixings Screwfix stock them.

Reply to
Davidm

The snag with those here is they never seem to have the correct diameter of the machine screw for the slot. Or the head is wrong. But maybe just me. ;-) I can usually find a wood screw in my box which is perfect.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Why not use the type that use machine screws and a deformeable metal plug? Fit, tighten, remove the screw, put a nut on it, screw the screw to the required depth and use the nut to lock it tight to the wall fixing?

Reply to
Steve Walker

I suppose I am lucky as I have

round the corner from home and round the corner from the office.

I have sometimes had to buy new bolts for the things I am fitting for the reasons you have given.

Reply to
ARW

They're standard metric screws available in an infinite variety of lengths, materials and heads. For small quantities Ebay is a reasonable source.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

JohnP snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote in news:XnsACD8730255F81JohPnowherecom@81.171.92.222:

I would advise investing in the setting tool they do a much better job and aren't that expensive, this one 12.99:

Pull until they _just_ pinch, no more, beware overtightening the screw.

The fixings aren't generally that well made and the threads will tend to strip out if you use the screw to set them, def don't use a drill driver to set them via the screw. I also use an hand screwdriver to start the screws in the thread and for the final tighten, better feel. Failed fixings need drilled out which can get messy so avoid.

Watch out also for certain sizes of fixing having long unsplit sections of shank below the flange, they're meant for thicker boarding or through fixture fitting and they won't grip properly on regular 8 or 12mm board. Toolstation's range are particularly bad for this with random sizes being long shank and not mentioned in the description. I don't have any reject packs handy to advise but perhaps buy a few adjacent sizes and return the unsuitable ones.

Reply to
Peter Burke