Which plasterboard fixing

Was asked to fit a couple of IKEA LACK shelves - the floating kind of shelf with hidden fixings. Anyways it seems that these no longer come with any fixings - the instructions just exhort one to consult your supplier.
The shelves have a keyhole that slots over an exposed screw head. In solid walls this is fine - you just tighten the screws up until the right amount of shaft is exposed and drop the shelf over them.
Fixing to plasterboard is another problem. Most plasterboard fixings rely on the screw being tightened to clamp the fixing from behind. This is not feasible as the screw needs to be left protruding.
The only type of fixings that I have used that do not do this are the little die-cast screws with a large thread that screw into the wall first and then screw the actual screw into them.
<http://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-metal-50mm-self-drill-pack-of-100/27238
I am not convinced though that these will not pull through with the forces placed by the shelf. There is nothing behind the plasterboard to spread the load.
I there any fixings that I have missed that combine something behind the plasterboard to spread the load with the ability to hold fast when the screw is not fully tightened?
Andrew
Andrew May scribbled...

I've never had a problem with either of these
Fischer Plasterboard Plug LDF 4mm - code 81956 Fischer Plasterboard Plugs HDF 4mm - code 58219
Both available from Screwfix
Half the price of the Spit Driva TP12 Panhead Metal which can make a mess of the plasterboard.
On 20/05/2014 09:06, Jabba wrote:

I've tried both of those but they hold fast by virtue of the screw being tightened against the wall. Can't do that for these shelves.
On Tuesday, 20 May 2014 09:06:29 UTC+1, Jabba wrote:

Whereas I much prefer the TP12 metal fixings. I've never found any issue wi th them but then I do always drill a pilot hole as a matter of course so pe rhaps that's the key.
In the OP's instance however I'd echo the recommendation to use hollow wall anchors - they're about as a strong a board fixing as you'll get. Whilst I wouldn't necessarily the application I've seen them holding up heavy kitch en cupboards and radiators before.
Mathew
On 20/05/2014 08:58, Andrew May wrote:

Oddly the very pasting of the link may have solved the problem. The linked page also shows these:
<http://www.screwfix.com/p/hollow-wall-anchor-5-x-43mm-6-13mm-pack-of-10/18266
Has anyone any experience of them?
On 20/05/2014 09:17, Andrew May wrote:

I've used them regularly - they will solve your problem but it's worth buying or making a pulling tool to "set" them - if you do it by tightening the screw then the body turns and fails to lock into the wall. Aldi had a setting tool in a box of wall anchors recently - less than £10

I've used these a lot - ideally you need a tool to fix them firmly, but we've got all our clothes hanging on them in our walk in wardrobe.
John
--
John Mulrooney
On Tue, 20 May 2014 09:17:08 +0100, Andrew May wrote:

of-100/27238>

of-10/18266>

Yes excellent things, it may seem rash but get the setting tool as well it makes their use so much easier!
Avpx
On 20/05/2014 10:07, nick wrote:

ALDI have a pack of fixings including the tool for £9:99 at the moment.

echo ... echo ... echo ;-)
no snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote:

Ah, but you said "had [...] recently" TMH said "have [...] at the moment".
On 21/05/2014 10:05, no snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote:

I know what you're up to. You read my post & traveled back in time by 5 hours. I do wish you would stop doing that!

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Anyway the setting tool is available all year round for £7.75 from toolsatan with fixings around the £1-3 mark depending on size required.
On 20/05/2014 08:58, Andrew May wrote:

Hollow wall anchors, inserted with the setting tool:
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do?fh_search=hollow+wall+anchor&fh_view_size
Basically once the sleeve is expanded, its locked in place and the bolt can be set at any position.
--
Cheers,

John.
John Rumm wrote:

Seconded for the wall anchors but, IME, it is best to equip yourself with a variety of fixings to meet different circumstances. In particular, if the gap behind the plasterboard is small the wall anchors cannot be inserted far enough to work. This can be because the board is too close to the blockwork behind it, or you happen to have hit a stud or blob of plaster behind the board. Judicious tapping or drilling a small pilot hole to check may help. Sod's law says it doesn't.
Chris K
On 20/05/2014 17:21, ChrisK wrote:

I've used wall anchors on dot n dab walls. Trick is to drill the hole deep enough.

On 20/05/2014 17:21, ChrisK wrote:

I've used the metal self-drive screws (url above) successfully on dot and dab walls. Once the thread was started into the plasterboard I had to break off the drill tip part to be able to drive the screw flush with the plasterboard. My small (~0.5 kg) surround sound speakers are each supported by a couple of these screws and have been up for nearly 3 years.
Generally the fittings designed to open out behind the plasterboard won't have enough space to work on dot and dab walls (I've tried a number!), unless you fancy The Medway Handyman's approach of drilling out the solid wall behind the plasterboard. (Dave, I can see this would work with hollow wall anchor fittings. Have you tried this with spring toggle fittings, which would seem to be less likely to work?)
--
Graham Nye
news(a)thenyes.org.uk
On Tue, 20 May 2014 08:58:50 +0100, Andrew May wrote:

Not the end of the world, because the fixings usually provided are cheese bin-fodder anyway...

Mmm. I used to have one of those self-same shelves in the office, on a plasterboard wall. It was _laden_ with reasonably heavy guff for three- four years, and never moved a millimetre. BUT... it didn't fit in the way you describe... There was a steel plate which screwed solidly to the wall, with steel "prongs" protruding, which the "wood" slid over from the front, and was secured into the bottom.
The assembly PDF on Ikea's website shows that as still being the case. http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/assembly_instructions/lack-wall- shelf__AA-10128-8_pub.pdf
On 20/05/2014 11:01, Adrian wrote:

I think that is the case for the larger shelves. These are no more than 300mm wide. They were going to used as bedside shelves so just taking a lamp, a clock and a glass of water. I was surprised at the fixing but then IKEA seem to be constantly 'refining' their designs to make them cheaper to produce.
Andrew May wrote:

The ones I've had from Unifix have a setting tool with them, but I've made my own because it works better. You have to be careful not to overtighten these fixings. In plasterboard I would not hang a great amount of weight on them. The hole has to be exactly the right size.
Bill