Which plasterboard fixing

I know what you're up to. You read my post & traveled back in time by 5 hours. I do wish you would stop doing that!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I've used a few without a setting tool with no problem. (But if there's a set with cheap tool on offer, might as well get it anyway.)

You do need to check the plasterboard thickness and get the right size.

Reply to
Alan Braggins

I've used the metal self-drive screws (url above) successfully on dot and dab walls. Once the thread was started into the plasterboard I had to break off the drill tip part to be able to drive the screw flush with the plasterboard. My small (~0.5 kg) surround sound speakers are each supported by a couple of these screws and have been up for nearly 3 years.

Generally the fittings designed to open out behind the plasterboard won't have enough space to work on dot and dab walls (I've tried a number!), unless you fancy The Medway Handyman's approach of drilling out the solid wall behind the plasterboard. (Dave, I can see this would work with hollow wall anchor fittings. Have you tried this with spring toggle fittings, which would seem to be less likely to work?)

Reply to
Graham Nye