children's slide

I have a nice slope in the back yard, suitable for a slide. Does anyone have any useful info, please?

  1. Make a slide? If so what's the best slidey surface?
  2. Buy a slide? If so where from?
  3. Any general advice?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Depends a bit on how much work you want... (i.e. get a functional slide quick, or a project to make something nice)

For a quick and durable sliding surface, a bit of phonolic coated ply would be good (its the kind of stuff they make lorry beds from). You can get it textured for grip, or smooth like Formica.

For a more "crafted" slide, then a series of curved ribs between two side formers (1x6 or 1x8 PAR), and then plank like a boat (although without overlaps) using narrow strips ripped off the side of a plank of hardwood. Sand it all very smooth and varnish with yacht varnish or similar.

Reply to
John Rumm

IMHO stainless steel. Second would be HDPE.

These are called 'embankment slides' and you can buy them from playground suppliers to fit to your embankment

Steeline are in Sheffield

They may be 'silly money' (aimed at public sector procurement) though.

If you can get it big/cheap enough the yellow pipe used for gas mains could be used for a tunnel slide or sliced into 1/2 or 1/3 cylinder segments.

Shorter plastic slides for fitting to your own tower or embankment aren't too expensive.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I remember going to Wicksteed park a few (ahem!) years ago

Andy Burns

Public liability insurance was my first thought.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That's easy, don't allow the public to use it, I doubt Bill's grandchildren will sue him!

Reply to
Andy Burns

Even if they did, most household insurance would cover injuries to visitors.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW