CFLs and UHF interference

I'm done with you, friend. I've had a laugh at your expense, and now I can't be bothered any more, because your lack of both wit, and having anything sensible to say, other than insults that you haven't even got the balls to type in full, is simply tiresome ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I'm on my second Jazz CVT, and it is a joy to drive. Mind you round here (SW London) 30 is fast!

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Indeed, vehicles with automatic transmissions are very dangerous, I know someone who wrote off *four* brand new cars whilst doing a dealer PDI check on a new Volvo whilst it was "ticking over in Park" (well he actually had to rev it up to check the CO readings), on investigation (by the insurance Co and Volvo UK) it was found that a manufacturing fault had caused the box to select drive rather than 'Park' even though the lever *was* in Park.

Reply to
:Jerry:

I had a DAF 66 and ISTR that it had large skinny tyres something like

135 x 15. The estate also had an upward pointing peg which the hatch locked against, and if you weren't careful at the BM it would slit a bag of cement open as you put it in!
Reply to
Tony Bryer

I know it well. Actually there are two of them in a way, but the one on the Marlow side is the one I presume you mean, and it does seem to have improved. Possibly this is because there is less bunching of cars.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Andy Hall gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Wycombe? Oh, yes, indeed...

Reply to
Adrian

You weren't the guy in the Speedos joke were you? ;-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

It would be interesting to see if the risk homostasis effect applies to this like it does to many other "safety improving" changes.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes - the safety disbenefit to vulnerable road users will carry on, while any safety benefit obtained by seeing cars/lorries etc will be squandered.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Don't worry - just got back from an interesting trip - unfortunately what you gain on Marlow hill (correctly identified folks - 5 points apiece) you lose on Oxford Road/West Wycombe Road/Archway/London Road/etc. :-(

For many years it has been my contention that roads *out* of town should be as free flowing and uninterrupted as possible. Split speed limits. Near-permanent green lights. Anything to get the people out of town asap and with the least impact. This is possibly of particular benefit in a town with steep hills on many outward routes.

Reply to
Rod

Never had to do that. And in current car, cannot start the engine without foot being on brake. I use my right foot as clearly intended by the manufacturer.

Reply to
Rod

But then you probably don't spend your time repairing faulty vehicles...

How do you work that one out, does it mean that someone who has had their right leg amputated couldn't drive that vehicle [1], or are you just implying that the standard practice is to operate the throttle and brake with the right foot?...

[1] OK the driving position might be some what 'weird' to the norm
Reply to
:Jerry:

I don't work it out. I read the manual.

Furthermore, using my left foot to operate the brake would stand a chance of my shoe catching the accelerator - and that would be a really bad thing. I wouldn't be stupid enough to do that.

[1] Not somewhat weird - downright dangerous.

Someone who has had their right leg amputated should seek proper adaptation of the vehicle to work with their remaining capabilities. (Most particularly if they have a vehicle with a foot operated parking brake.) I think this has to be declared to DVLA, n'est pas? I thought you would have sent them to the gallows for even considering driving an unadapted car with such a problem.

Reply to
Rod

In news:g3ahrt$1uer$ snipped-for-privacy@energise.enta.net, PeterMcC typed, for some strange, unexplained reason: : Dave wrote in : : : > Mark Carver wrote: : : >

: > IKWYM. Doesn't the light hurt the eyes if you do switch it on. :-( : > I have good night vision and it gets spoiled by cars at both night : > and day, who have badly aligned head lights, or fog lamps. Do : > drivers assume that their fog lamps are driving lights, because : > they are not yellow? : : I think you're confusing fog lamps with those really cool lights : placed low down at the front of the car, making both car and driver : look dead stylish.

If they're below bumper level then they *are* foglights and must only be used in conditions of fog or bad visibility, on pain of a fixed penalty (£20 IIRC) notice.

And for your information, they don't make the car or the driver look "cool" (whatever that may mean) but merely a pillock.

They're also very dazzling, especially in heavy rain.

TURN 'EM OFF IF IT'S NOT FOGGY..!

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

In news: snipped-for-privacy@tigger.muircom.demon.co.uk, SpamTrapSeeSig typed, for some strange, unexplained reason: : In article , Mortimer : writes : >and brake lights kept permanently on when drivers are stationary in a : >queue of traffic. Why can't people use ther handbrake rather than : >footbrake when they are stopped at traffic lights? : : Blame Volvo and the EU: one introduced them, the other mandated them. : I doubt there's a shred of evidence that high-mounted central brake : lights are a net safety improvement. : : Incidentally, if you think it's bad here, North America is dreadful, : as most cars are autos and people sit for minutes at a time with a : foot on the brake pedal, at traffic lights.

Strange. Last time I drove a car in the US (last year as it happens) it came equipped with a handbrake lever as well as a means of selecting Neutral.

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

In news: snipped-for-privacy@rikki.tavi.co.uk, Bob Eager typed, for some strange, unexplained reason: : On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 12:20:39 UTC, ":Jerry:" : wrote: : : >

: > : > >

: > > Come on, how many people remember 'old Cyclops' or the combined : > > tail/brake light (that is a single filament bulb that was used for : > > *both* brake and tail light)? : >

: > Actually, thinking about it (it's been a while since I've had to : > work on such a vehicle), it was a shared brake/indicator light that : > shared a single filament bulb. : : I've only seen the brake/tail version in common use. One has to ask : how a shared brake/indicator would display the right colours..?

It wouldn't. But then in North America many US-made cars have these lights and the rear indicators are indeed red. Confusing at first but you get used to it.

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

In news:LuLrz3YSROWIFwp$@tigger.muircom.demon.co.uk, SpamTrapSeeSig typed, for some strange, unexplained reason: : In article , The Natural : Philosopher writes : : >> Incidentally, if you think it's bad here, North America is : >>dreadful, as most cars are autos and people sit for minutes at a : >>time with a foot on the brake pedal, at traffic lights. : >>

: : >Doesn't bother me. : : It ruins night vision if you're stuck in a traffic queue, and it is : much worse in the USA than here, because of automatic boxes.

When did the US stop fitting cars with handbrakes, then..?

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

WRONG. driving lamps can also be fitted below the bumper level, otherwise an awful lot of car manufactures are fitting four fog lights to the fronts of their cars...

Reply to
:Jerry:

: > I'm always wary about parking with the car in gear except on a steep : > hill when I always choose first if I'm parked uphill and reverse if : > I'm parked downhill, because more than once when someone else has : > driven my car and left it in gear I've operated the starter without : > checking that the car is in neutral and the car has lurched : > forwards - hence the use of a gear that will always try to take the : > car uphill rather than downhill. : : First rule taught to all in the motor trade, ALWAYS depress the clutch : (or put the left foot on the brake if the vehicle is an automatic) : BEFORE operating the starter, a sloppy / mal-adjusted gear leaver can : give the 'appearance' of being in neutral (or park) but not actually : being so. : : I've seen cars get driven off workshop ramps when someone has : forgotten such a basic safety procedure, not a problem when the ramp : is down, something altogether different when it's 6ft up in the air... : :~o

It's not difficult to incorporate a link between the gear selector and the starter such that the latter cannot be operated if the transmission is not in neutral. All the buses I've ever driven have such a system. So does my motorcycle.

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

Yeh, and pig can fly.

Only if you are a cretin at driving, as it is, it's quite possible for someone who can't position themselves into the correct driving position for their stature to catch the accelerator and brake peddles at the same time with the right foot, so what's the differences?!

IYO....

IYO...

Reply to
:Jerry: