CFLs and UHF interference

Yes! Is he accusing people of "mind reading" here as well?

Ian

Reply to
The Real Doctor

That is a fairly useless figure without knowing how much oil has already been found and discounted as uneconomic to recover. What's important - in the short to medium term - is how much oil is becoming economically recoverable (through discovery /or/ increasing prices) for each barrel used.

Ian

Reply to
The Real Doctor

Judging from experience, hardly anyone. In fact driving standards in general have dropped considerably in the last 10 years IMHO.

I usually move over into the centre lane if I can see someone approaching too close. Although I did this once on a almost empty motorway and the idiot shot across the inside lane and positioned himself about 6 feet in front of me!!!!

Reply to
Mark

If the handbrake can't hold the car against pulling off at tickover than the car should not be allowed on the road (it should fail it's MOT).

Reply to
Mark

Not many.

It appears most people think it's a "get out of the effing way I'm joining the motorway whether you like it or not" line.

Reply to
Huge

You don't stop, you adjust your speed to fit into a gap, if there isn't a gap use the hard shoulder for a bit. It is positively dangerous to stop unless the actual motorway is stationary. I am amazed by the idiots that having cocked up adjusting the speed stop at the end and then try to pull into a gap from zero MPH. The same idiots do it on the hard shoulder too, just pull out and wonder why the drivers passing are all swearing at them.

Reply to
dennis

And those of us who liked manual gearboxes because they allow you to select what gear you want to be in, use the left foot to brake with in an auto so we can use the right to force a kickdown in mid corner ;-)

I wish some manufacturer would produce a really 'sport' auto progammed box..one that says' I will keep the revs vbetween 2000 and 5000 as long as I can'

Autos are great for traffic. And a lot better for the average driver to whom any gear change is a constant challenge, and clutch control means how to avoid getting pawed in a nightclub.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Agreed. I see little advantage to manual in 0-30 mph traffic. And not much more between 30 and 50. Nor at a constant 70. As almost all roads I travel are limited to 50 or lower - or are motorways - little point in manual.

Clutch pedal can play merry hell with plantar fasciitis.

Reply to
Rod

Our sized parking spaces cause a great deal of trouble for UK drivers too judging by the number of dents and scratches that have appeared on my car over the years (and not put there by me, I might add) :-(

Reply to
Mark

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 12:50:37 +0100 someone who may be "dennis@home" wrote this:-

It is not an either or situation. Every little helps.

Actually enforcing speed limits would be a fuel/emission saving measure.

Reply to
David Hansen

How successful have you been at explaining that to the Chinese government as they build a new power station each week, or to the Russians as they drive around in their up to the minute GAZ Volga cars with petrol at 50p per litre?

Reply to
Andy Hall

And your point is ?? So have you ? Making silly noises about haddock, does not answer a straightforward question, or is the answer "no" ... ?

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Does that mean that it makes all the diodes in your left leg ache ... ? :-)

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I loathe automatics: they change gear at the wrong time and are far too inclined to change down in situations where I would hold onto a higher gear and apply a bit more power. Negotiating roundabouts in an automatic is no fun: I find that I either get too little acceleration in a high gear or else, for just a tiny bit more power, the transmission changes right down into first gear (well that's what it feels like) and I get far too much acceleration. Nothing is worse than a car which changes gear by itself in the middle of a manoeuvre when you're not expecting it.

I had a very bad experience with an automatic Ford Focus that was hired for me to make a business trip: it had an aversion to going over 50 mph: the more power I applied, the further it changed down - I could have 50 in any of 5th, 4th, 3rd or 2nd gear! On the M25, every time I got the car up to 70, some poxy HGV would pull out in front of me, requiring me to brake to 50 and then take several miles to coax the car back up to 70 without provoking it to change down.

Reply to
Mortimer

From what I see, it doesn't cause any problem at all. They just park diagonally across two spaces, or leave the car on double yellas ... !! d;~}

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I do accept that some are utter crap. A while ago I drove a Honda Jazz CVT. That was very nice - but the engine could have done with being much more powerful!

Reply to
Rod

How? by increasing congestion? Right..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Referring to:

??

Reply to
Rod

I'd like to drive a car with CVT or a DSG transmission. The VW Golf DSG is supposed to be very good - smooth gearchanges up and down under the driver's control or under automatic control - best of all worlds.

I remember in the early 80s getting lifts from a guy with a Volvo that had Daf CVT. It seemed to have a very sensitive change-down and very late change-up: it was weird when he set off from rest to hear the engine racing and then the car would gradually pick up speed with the engine still racing after which the engine note would slow down.

Reply to
Mortimer

What f*cking difference does it make if I have or haven't, FFS I probably driven more vehicle than you have sat in, as I said you question was about as pointless as asking for the price of fish here.

The fact is, if you can't operate all the *safety* related controls you should not be using the vehicle or what ever.

Reply to
:Jerry: