CFLs and UHF interference

They DO change ratios up and down (it's just that it's *consciously variable*, unlike a conventional manual or auto box were each of the available ratios are set), ignore Huge, he just proved that he is the one who doesn't understand how the system works. Nothing new there though! :~(

Reply to
:Jerry:

Gosh, it's news to me that the Park setting on an automatic transmission can sometimes allow a car to move - I'd always thought that it was even more infallible than a handbrake, where cable stretching can occasionally allow the brakes to work free. Not that it matters because I would always apply the handbrake on any car - auto or manual.

Reply to
Mortimer

which is probably why I was taught - 50 years ago - to park with the engine in gear. And of course what "Park" does on automatic boxes.

Reply to
charles

Ooer! Self-aware gearboxes! Should we be afraid?

Reply to
Paul Martin

I'm always wary about parking with the car in gear except on a steep hill when I always choose first if I'm parked uphill and reverse if I'm parked downhill, because more than once when someone else has driven my car and left it in gear I've operated the starter without checking that the car is in neutral and the car has lurched forwards - hence the use of a gear that will always try to take the car uphill rather than downhill.

After a couple of c*ck-ups, I soon got into the habit of always giving the gear lever a side-to-side waggle before starting and also before letting the clutch up when I park, to confirm that the car really *is* in neutral.

Reply to
Mortimer

But we have been discussing a foot-operated parking brake (not a handbrake)! :-)

Reply to
Rod

LOL !!!!

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

You're funny, but not in a good way.

Are you going to reply with lots of words typed in CAPITALS to this post?

Reply to
Steve Firth

First rule taught to all in the motor trade, ALWAYS depress the clutch (or put the left foot on the brake if the vehicle is an automatic) BEFORE operating the starter, a sloppy / mal-adjusted gear leaver can give the 'appearance' of being in neutral (or park) but not actually being so.

I've seen cars get driven off workshop ramps when someone has forgotten such a basic safety procedure, not a problem when the ramp is down, something altogether different when it's 6ft up in the air... :~o

Reply to
:Jerry:

F*ck off troll.

Reply to
:Jerry:

F*ck off troll

Reply to
:Jerry:

Why use the left foot when normal auto behaviour is to use right foot for both brake and accelerator? (I am aware of variations on this in the real world.)

Reply to
Rod

Because one might need to use the other foot to operate the throttle?.... Duh! :~)

Reply to
:Jerry:

Because one might need to use the other foot to operate the throttle?.... Duh! :~)

Reply to
:Jerry:

In the case of an Auto, you can't even start the engine if it's in anything other than Park or Neutral [1]. I drove a hire car Honda once that would not accept the ignition key unless the selector was in 'Park' That was a case of RTFM to figure out what on earth was going on. My Peugeot 406 will not come out of Park, until the engine is running, which could be a PITA if it breaks down in that mode.

[1] That's not to say if the interlock has a fault, that it wouldn't start 'in gear', but hey, shit happens.
Reply to
Mark Carver

My understanding is that you should *never* use your left foot for anything, at any time, when driving an Auto. This retains backward 'compatibility' with driving a manual, where the left foot must only be used to control the clutch.

(I am also aware of variations on this in the real world.)

Reply to
Mark Carver

I drove a car in the States once that had a pull lever to operate the handbrake. Only thing was it was next to the bonnet release lever.

I looked really cool sweeping into a parking space, and then the bonnet jumping up :-)

Reply to
Mark Carver

As you point out yourself below, in footnote #1, you are quite wrong in that comment!

I drove a hire car Honda

Yes, shit happens but a bit of thought prevents much of it happening, it's a bit like a lighting rigger not bothering to use the safety chain "because the clamp never fails" and then saying "Oh well, shit happens" after the talent below gets killed by the spot failing on him....

Reply to
:Jerry:

:Jerry: wrote in

There are half a dozen UK deaths a year caused by drivers running themselves over whilst working under the bonnet of automatics ticking over in Drive rather than Park

I was once teaching a lad about the basics of tractor driving - we were using a Fergie135 (in the days when they were new!) and we'd used it to pull a 30' greenhouse frame upright. Bit of a "ship-in-bottle" assembly - construct it flat on the ground and connect a cable to the apex and slowly move the tractor forward as the whole thing rises into shape.

My contribution over, as regards the tractor driving, and with the greenhouse frame now standing erect and held there by the cable attached to the tractor, I thought I'd carry on with the tractor driving lesson.

I demonstrated the ignition cut-out, to show him that the tractor couldn't be accidentally started in gear, by leaning over and turning the key.

As I said afterwards, the bloke who removed the safety cut-out was as much to blame...

...then again, the chap who'd been sitting on the ridge bolting the thing together didn't know who'd removed the cut-out whereas I was standing there just waiting to hear his considered opinion of the bloke who'd turned the key.

Quite right too.

I hope the lad I was training remembered the lesson about reliance on safety features to the abandonment of common sense - in the best part of 40 years, I haven't forgotten.

Reply to
PeterMcC

Not sure I follow that ....

No, I'm not. In fact, it's not worth replying to him again, at all - see his final post below for the sort of retard that he actually is. It is not worth sparring with people who lack the intelligence to respond in a reasoned way to reasonably asked questions. It was he who started in with the bad-arsed stuff, not me. The reasoning behind the capitalisation, should have been clear to anyone who had been following this, and was done more for comical than dramatic effect, but obviously too subtle ... :-)

Jerry is one of those people who is like a punch-drunk boxer, who just has to keep getting up to take another punch, when he should just stay down. Still, no matter. He obviously needs to have the last word to satisfy his 'I won' mentality, so as far as I am concerned, he has it, with his post below, where he quite nicely calls me a troll, and tells me to f*ck off ... Mr Nice Guy personified !

see

Arfa Daily