CFLs and UHF interference

Oh goody are we are going to have one of those arguments where the idiots stand up to justify why they can break the rules while everyone else isn't good enough to?

Reply to
dennis

Re DAF, so did I. Wind up, wind up, wind up, go!!!!

The Jazz version is like a super-duper one of those with something ensuring that the revs are kept sensible - veyr close to what I would have chosen.

Heard of the DSG - and would like to try it sometime. Maybe I'll ask for a test drive...

Reply to
Rod

Bloody horrid transmission, lethal in the wrong hands - literally, there were more than a few cases of malfunctioning (wrongly set up) transmissions ending up killing those trying to meddle...

Reply to
:Jerry:

How?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Autos are great after you lose that left foot looking for the clutch reaction, as you come to a stop.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I now of one case were someone sitting in the car died due to a snapped neck and another case of someone run down by the car he was working on, the system used vacuum to active the variable cones (thus gear ratio) and clutch, AIUI the wrong engine revs coupled to the wrong vacuum settings could cause the car to achieve a very much higher velocity from a standing start than normal or expected, that could also defeat the parking brake. They were also lethal to the local cat population who would climb into the nice warm belt area, squished cat makes quite a mess....

Reply to
:Jerry:

So in the first case the car engaged a very low gear with high engine revs and that achieved enough acceleration to snap the driver's neck? That must be one hell of an acceleration! How come you never hear of similar cases with manual or conventional automatic transmission if you floor the accelerator in first?

I'd thought that the belt/pulley area was sealed in a case rather than being open to the elements. If it was open, wouldn't there also be a problem with mud and water getting in if you went through a ford or over muddy ground?

Are all cars with CVT rear-wheel drive or have they managed to fit the belt/pulley mechanism under the bonnet alongside the engine in modern cars with this transmission?

Reply to
Mortimer

Sounds like an over zealous kick-down switch/sensor.

I've driven autos for 25 years, though I don't ponce about with anything less than a 2 litre engine :-)

Reply to
Mark Carver

Remember that part of the problem was the fact that it was unexpected movement, and that older cars were not fitted with head restraints.

How come you never hear of similar cases

Because of inevitable clutch slip (otherwise the engine would just stall) together with the fact that the driver could never change up (or down that quickly), and in the case of conventional automatic transmission, the action of the torque-converter.

They were protected by plastic under-guards, the trouble was that they were not fully encased, this allowed cooling and casual inspection, but allowed would and pet life to gain access to a nice warn area after the car had been used. You also have to remember that the belts used on the DAF/Volvo 'Veriamatic' were nothing more that very wide section rubber/fabric V belts (similar to the conventional old fashioned fan-belt), so as long as they didn't ingest solid objects they didn't come to much harm.

IIRC the first two cars to use the modern incarnation of CVT, that is were they use an metal-lastic belt inside the gearbox, were front wheel drive.

Reply to
:Jerry:

In message , Arfa Daily writes

I don't, I use dipped beam

Err ... what ?

off / parking / beam switch works for me

Reply to
geoff

In message , snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net writes

too busy killing pedestrians ?

Reply to
geoff

In message , Arfa Daily writes

If you're doing 30mph in the middle (first overtaking) lane, probably

Reply to
geoff

I was advised to tuck my left leg under my seat until I got used to it.

It worked.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

That's a real achievement. The car obviously accelerated at a much higher rate than is possible for a normal car, because dropped clutches even in the most powerful of ordinary vehicles don't break necks.

It's a real achievement because the limiting factor on anything over about a 1300 is traction. It must have had really special tyres.

Or was this a friend of a friend who heard of someone who...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Actually, Arfa Daily *didn't* write that ... d;~}

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

The difference it makes, you self opinionated ass, is that if you have never driven an american vehicle which has the type of parking brake that was being discussed, then you are not qualified to comment on whether people who have, are competent or not to be in control of such a vehicle. It really doesn't matter how many different vehicles you have driven. If you haven't had experience of the ones being discussed, your opinions in regard of their actual drivers are valueless.

From your vehemently defensive responses, and silly 'cost of fish' deflections, I have to assume that you do not have experience of driving these vehicles in the USA, so allow me to put you straight.

The pedal operated parking brake, which is found on many american vehicles, is intended to be just that - a PARKING brake. Unlike a UK handbrake lever, it is not intended to be a supplemental brake to the footbrake. As others have said, its operation requires the left leg to be lifted very high off the floor, and considerable effort then needs to be applied, to engage it. The release lever is often located under the dash, above the pedal, and is not particularly easily operated.

The 'difficulties' of both engaging and releasing this brake, are of no consequence when you are parked up and going nowhere. However, they would be significant if you attempted to use this brake as an 'in traffic' supplement to the footbrake, in the same way as proper drivers here, use the handbrake at traffic lights.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Referring to Marvin the manically depressive robot in "Hitch-Hikers" .... :-)

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I guess you don't get out on motorways too much then ... I was on the M25 earlier this week, and had motorbikes come around the inside of me in all three lanes - yes, the inside lane as well. All were just taking the 'easiest' route through the traffic for them, and sod the rest of us who couldn't weave around like they could. What with all the foreign trucks, the people who can't use a slip road, the people who have no idea what lane speed structure is about, and particularly irresponsible motorbike riders, the motorways are becoming more dangerous almost by the week.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Certainly the M40 has seemed like that.

Shocking M40 statistics By Neil Phillips

11:37am Saturday 31st May 2008

ACCIDENTS on the south Bucks stretch of the M40 have more than doubled since the year 2000, firefighters revealed this week at the end of 12 months of tragedy.

Tomorrow marks the first anniversary of the horrific accident that began the year of carnage on the M40.

Reply to
Rod

You asked if I had ever driven IN America, not if I had driven an American car, but either question is still TOTALLY irrelevant as it doesn't change the FACT that if you can't operate all the safety critical controls than you should not be using the vehicle. Now f*ck off troll and run along to your mummy.

Reply to
:Jerry: