CFLs and UHF interference

Probably because there was a front bench seat option

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Foots?

What is wrong with their hand brake then?

Dave.

Reply to
Dave

With the specific parking brake I posted about, there is an extra "pedal" - in the UK, it is to the right of the accelerator and close up to the side of the well. You have to lift your foot up quite a long way in order to step on it. As you step on it, the umbrella thing comes out of the dash (maybe it's from under the dash - details are hazy). To release it, you grab the umbrella, press on a lever/button/something and push gently.

Reply to
Rod

It is much easier using the foot brake because then they just have to shift their foot when the light changes.

gr, hwh

Reply to
hwh

Just found a picture:

Reply to
Rod

Darnn all.

Headlights are at most 100W; tail-lights typically 7W. That's 214W for the whole system. Even allowing for generator losses you are looking at well under 500W to drive them, from a car that probably produces 100kW.

On the other hand, those of us who have pop-up headlights will have their aerodynamics wrecked by being forced to leave them up all the time. And that *will* make a difference.

Oh, I know, I can use the front fog lights as day notice lights instead. That'll do the trick.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

IIRC you turn the handle, this releases the ratchet, the various springs in the linkage / brake mechanism then does the rest.

Reply to
:Jerry:

In a lot of cases it's also instilled in the driver as a safety measure, unlike with a manual box a auto box will not just stall the engine should a gear become unintentionally engaged (for what ever reasons, you don't appreciate the carnage an out of control vehicle with auto-transmission can cause until you see it...).

Reply to
:Jerry:

And as a cyclist, I can't possibly compete. It's utterly stupid.

Reply to
<me9

Well, that's about right then ... Hit us all with assorted 'green' legislation to satisfy the 'save the planet' agenda, then make us use more fuel by having to have daytime running lights on ... This euro bollox defies belief ! >:- (

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Granted, but multiply that by several million vehicles, and it then becomes a significant quantity ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

on the inside, on the motorway...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Have you ever driven such a vehicle in the U.S. ?

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

But how many also try to join a road doing at least 60mph, by driving their own vehicle at 30mph? It's reached the point now that I hate having anyone in front of me on a slip road, because I just know that they are going to make a hash of the joining procedure, and as a result, interfere with my joining of the road. Bring back PIFs on the TV, so that these issues can be taught to the marching morons that now inhabit this country, using cartoons that they will understand ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

How do you know he's a sound engineer and anti-EU? ;-)

Reply to
Bob Martin

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 21:11:36 +0100 someone who may be Andy Champ wrote this:-

The EU think a 0.5 to 1.5% increase in fuel consumption/emissions. The road research laboratory think these should be multiplied by

0.55 to allow for the 45% of trips at night.
Reply to
David Hansen

...and haddock is 10 GBP per lb........

Reply to
:Jerry:

Had an interesting discussion with one of my US team members when he was staying over here for a couple of weeks. I asked him why he got in to work so early over here (8am) when he normally never arrived in the office before 11:30 in the US? He paused for a long time, and then eventually said that it was due to our car park. I must have looked very puzzled at that point -- although it got full, there were exactly enough spaces. He went on, the spaces were rather smaller than a US car park, and unless it was pretty empty when he arrived, he couldn't squeeze his car (a small hire car) into a space without fear of clobbering another car. Ah, US car parking spaces, even those labelled "compacts" (which are for large European sized cars rather than gigantic US ones), include enough space to fling the doors wide open without dinging the next car. Ours don't, of course. I hadn't realised what a problem that caused a US driver, not used to using our sized parking spaces.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Longer lifetime my arse. I have tried several makes of these, and while they have all produced some light for a long time, they have all become unusably dim by about twice the life of a tungsten bulb - I've been comparing them in a hallway and living room, each of which has two sockets.

None of them has anything like the life of the GEC long-life reflector tungstens I use in the kitchen.

And the environmental cost of producing and disposing of huge quantities of electronics, plastic enclosures and mercury.

Reply to
The Real Doctor

Crazy isn't it? (Motorycle batteries are small and alternators usually underspecced so flat batteries are a common problem on motorbikes. I have to recharge mine regularly when I am not using it much [too much DIY!]). At least mine's old enough to have a switch.

That's because it's dark up there near the arctic ;-)

Absolutely. At least our current government seem opposed to it for once. I guess they can't get everything wrong?

Couldn't agree more.

Reply to
Mark