Ceiling Fixed At Wrong Centres .

Ive just realised that I have fixed three of four plasterboard ceiling panels at 900mm centres totally forgetting to fix the cross pieces at the 450mm midway points as I intended .I was so keen to get on with it . The PB is the 9.5mm thickness and the width of the room is 53 " . I used screws at the joins and round the perimeter .I'm just taping the joins so there is no extra weight other than a couple of lightweight lamps which are screwed to the cross pieces .

Will this be OK .It seems to be all right ....?...I'd prefer to avoid taking the panels down again .

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

3 feet is no good, the boards will sag within a year, less if it's exposed to steam, take them down and start again.
Reply to
Phil L

Why not just fix the cross-pieces to the joists from above (then screw through the pb from below as usual)?

David

Reply to
Lobster

There are no joists above, David...This is a false ceiling 2 feet below the original one .It's just a 2" x2" framework screwed to the walls with crosspieces at the 900mm joins ...It's the midway ones I forgot to put in ... Anyway I've taken down the 3 plasterboard panels and I'l fix other cross pieces at 450mm centres and put them back .It won't take that long ..Glad I noticed before I put the wall boards up .

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Fix it at 4" to 6" centres, not just around the outside.

Mix up *sloppy* goop containing plaster and PVA. Force it between the sheets, and wipe off any excess that drips back out before it sets with a car sponge or similar.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Oops, didn't read that properly, AOL.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I think you are maybe a wee bit confused Chris .The boards are fixed at the perimeter AND at the joins which are at 900mm .What I forgot to do was put up cross pieces at the midway point at 450mm . When I said I'm just taping the joins I didnt mean JUST tape .I am using joint filler as well ,of course .....I was talking about there being no skin to add extra weight . Anyway the boards are now down and extra cross pieces are going up . Hope thats clear now..lol

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Stuart, is it possible to put some decorative (false) beams on the room side of the plasterboard but at 90 degrees to the wood supports above the plasterboard. Use say 2 inch x 1 inch and even put some scalloping on the edges with a spoke shave to give it the olde worlde looke.

Chris.

Reply to
mcbrien410

Yup, quite possibly.

Fairly clear... I'm very glad that *I've* never ballocksed up a simple job like that.

Oh, LMAO, BTW. HTH.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Errrrrrrr..........Pass.