CCTV and public notices

I have been asked to put a notice up on my house to say that I am recording with CCTV as some of the camera's view covers part of the street.

I have no problem with that (I prefer the sign to be there so that unwelcome visitors to my van and car may see it), but what about audio?

Do I need a special notice about audio being recorded or will just the CCTV sign be OK?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

What about it. If it catches the theiving scum then any evidence will be worthwhile, even sound

If you put the sign up to appease the local noseaches and busybodies then you are advertising the fact you have something worth nicking where the camera points at.

Maybe it would be better to just conceal the camera and say nowt

Reply to
RCW

according to the law (3 or 4 years ago if not now) you are not allowed to film public places unless you have a sign to say you are doing so. If you had recorded a theft or such like without having a sign up the courts could not use it as evidence and also the criminal could actually sue the person that did the filming. Justice! what the hell is that ?

Chris

Reply to
chris 159

In message , chris 159 wrote

Surely you can just do what the Police do with speed cameras? Put a notice up a quarter of a mile away from the camera.

Reply to
Alan

If it says CCTV then I think that covers audio and video. If however your notice said "images are being recorded..." then I don't think that would cover audio.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"Impact officer" of my local council. But as I do not live in a council house I find it a bit odd.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

New guidance has been issued in the last couple of years. Take a look at the Information Commissioner's website.

Reply to
Bob Eager

or a notice around the back/side of the house? so within nn metres from the camera.

Come to think of it, how many signs do you see on Motorway gantries or near the 10's of 1000's of city center CCTV "steerable" cameras?

I can't see how it could possibly be a legal or otherwise issue. There is after all (supposedly) one law for all, not a law for the public, another for the council, and an extra one for the police...

is there?

Reply to
PeTe33

Who asked you to do that?

HLAH

Is this a euphemism for another euphemism - "enforcer"?

Reply to
Andy Hall

It seems at odds with the fact you can photograph people in a place where they have no reasonable expectation of privacy - i.e. a public street.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Whatever an "Impact Officer's" business is, your CCTV setup is not it. If he comes back tell him to get lost.

The only piece of legislation that may require the posting of CCTV "warning" notices is the Data Protection Act, and that is a) enforced by the Office of the Information Commissioner not local authorities and b) as you are a private individual your CCTV is very very unlikely to fall under the requirements of the act.

if you were a business the DPA would not necessarily apply
next time tell him to mind his own business.

HLAH

Oh and

reference to the introduction and end note 2.

HLAH

Our local council have a 'Traveller Liason Officer'. A euphemism for 'Pikey Watcher'.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Surely, to the east of the river, there is an Indigenous Shell Suit Wearer Liaison person too.... or Chav Watcher!

Reply to
Bob Eager

The message from "Bob Eager" contains these words:

Bluewater has its own Cowled Torsowear Monitor.

Reply to
Guy King

OTOH, since he doesn't actually *need* a notice anyway....!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Signs are only required for those CCTV users who are covered by the DPA. Home users were exempted from the Act and commercial users are now not necessarily covered by it.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Is this to try to get them to pay council tax, send the kids to school or pre-empt the complaints from "regular society"?

Reply to
Andy Hall

I thought that that was north of the Thames, or is it general an estuarine thing?

Is there an east and west Medway syndrome as well.?

Reply to
Andy Hall