Nailing into red brick

Posted this before but it hasn't appeared!

I am trying to nail the conduit over the cables on the old outer leaf (new extension inner leaf) which is 40 yr old red brick, Masonary nails are bending like galv clout heads !.

the only solution I can think of is to drill and screw them, pain in the arse !!

any other ideas?

ta

Reply to
Staffbull

Don't quite understand the outer leaf /inner leaf thing; but the answer is surely to nail into the mortar.

Are you really nailing conduit, or is it capping? This is pre-plastering, right? IME oval conduit doesn't need much fixing in place at all.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Staffbull pretended :

Either nail into the mortar or drill holes, make wooden plugs and nail into those.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

You can get "nail" wall plugs (thorsman?) and IIRC nails for plastic capping that have "fitted washers" to create a panel pin with a large head - (made by the company that pack cable clips in yellow boxes?) - quick search

PeterK

Sorry its capping!

Reply to
Staffbull

PU glue would probbaly work if they'll sit in the right position wile it dries. A quicjk wipe with sandpaper first helps it stick properly.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I'm glad you said that. The idea of trying to fix conduit using nails made me shudder.

Are you using proper capping nails (like these

and driving them into the mortar?

Reply to
Andy Wade

yep they are capping naiis but it's hit and mis to find the mortar as there is still the first skim on the wall (outside render coat hacked off)

Reply to
Staffbull

As youre plastering over it, why not use tape / PU glue / sticky pads. It only has to stay there till it gets plastered, nothing good and solid required.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Theyre glued on now :-)