Nailing into red brick

Posted this before but it hasn't appeared!
I am trying to nail the conduit over the cables on the old outer leaf (new extension inner leaf) which is 40 yr old red brick, Masonary nails are bending like galv clout heads !.
the only solution I can think of is to drill and screw them, pain in the arse !!
any other ideas?
ta
Staffbull wrote:

Don't quite understand the outer leaf /inner leaf thing; but the answer is surely to nail into the mortar.
Are you really nailing conduit, or is it capping? This is pre-plastering, right? IME oval conduit doesn't need much fixing in place at all.
David
Staffbull pretended :

Either nail into the mortar or drill holes, make wooden plugs and nail into those.
--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

You can get "nail" wall plugs (thorsman?) and IIRC nails for plastic capping that have "fitted washers" to create a panel pin with a large head - (made by the company that pack cable clips in yellow boxes?) - quick search http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Fixings_Index/Nails/index.html peterk
Staffbull wrote:

Sorry its capping!
Staffbull wrote:

I'm glad you said that. The idea of trying to fix conduit using nails made me shudder.
Are you using proper capping nails (like these http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SCNAIL.html ) and driving them into the mortar?
--
Andy

Andy Wade wrote:

yep they are capping naiis but it's hit and mis to find the mortar as there is still the first skim on the wall (outside render coat hacked off)
Staffbull wrote:

As youre plastering over it, why not use tape / PU glue / sticky pads. It only has to stay there till it gets plastered, nothing good and solid required.
NT
snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote:

Theyre glued on now :-)
Staffbull wrote:

PU glue would probbaly work if they'll sit in the right position wile it dries. A quicjk wipe with sandpaper first helps it stick properly.
NT