Stuff on wall

Hiya

I have a problem with an internal wall in my sons room, there is a white powdery residue all over the dark blue paint which has no smell and doesn't feel damp.

Any ideas what it could be?

Thanks for your help Sue

Reply to
Sue

Google efflorescence. It probably HAS been damp at some time.

Chances are you have e.g. a leaking gutter on the other side, or some condensation, if its single brick.

If its ground floor and near the ground could be rising damp - soil over the damp proof course or something, or anywhere else just hard driven rain.

Let us know whats sort of wall it is and where it is.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

While you're at it, check under the mattress...

Reply to
VisionSet

Hi

Thanks for your help,

I have Googled efflorescence and I think you are correct, that is what it is.

The wall in question is an internal wall that meets an external wall, the dust covers the whole of the internal wall right up to what could be called the middle of the flat, it's not just at the bottom or near the external wall.

After just making further investigations I find the dust is on 2 internal walls and 1 exterior wall. The 2 internal meet the external, the far internal wall is not affected

I have had a look at the walls and I can't tell if they are single brick or not, I think they are.

There are 2 possibles that I have come up with, before we bought our flat the current owner had every wall plastered very badly, of the 4 walls in my sons room 3 were plastered and these are the 3 walls that have the dust, also on the outside of the flat (we live on the ground floor) the drain pipe has a gap in it and some water has been running down the wall, this has not been happening for very long though.

I have had a look at the mattress and can't see anything wrong with it.

I am now praying it is not rising damp :(

Sue

Reply to
Sue

lmao, did my juvenile humour go past you? Sorry.

Reply to
VisionSet

i came (no pun intended) very close to replying to the op along the same lines before you did but my sensible side (suprised ive got one actually) got the better of me

Chris

Reply to
chris 159

Damp from the ground has to cross a barrier. It will rise to about 3 or

4 feet by capillary action but it will be widespread along the wall with the fault.

It will most likely be that the building has a problem that the previous owner should have told you about. Instead he just cowboyed the job with some plaster he doesn't sound like he knew what he was doing.

Look for signs that an air brick has been replaced with a solid block or sealed. There must be an underlying problem usually poor venting or a leaky downspout. It may even be a slight leak in your water supply.

I hope you have no trouble sorting it.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer