[CC] IPCC Report to be released today

It could be worse, Burt. He could be a crossposting troll.

Reply to
Bernie

You couldn't be more wrong.

And it shows your utter ignorance.

I've been double vaccinated, have an honours degree in a STEM subject, and don't believe in *anything*.

Being able to prove that nothing can be proved to be true except the above statement, does not mean that believing in things *makes* them true. Quite the reverse.

Read what I wrote. Believing in aliens and lizards is not a *useful* way to regard the world. Neither is believing in climate change, unless you are making money out of it.

Accepting pro tem that a covid19 virus is, and getting vaccinated, seems to work. Ergo it is a useful assumption to make. Irrespective if its truth value.

In the end we adopt strategies and moist of us survive, That doesn't mean that our strategies are based on truth - merely that we have been lucky in some way to avoid strategies that got us killed.

Religion must have helped us survive too - would you claim it is therefore true?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm pretty sure that 'climate change' is happening. But, I think it's far more likely to be natural than man made.

Reply to
charles

Well they would say that, wouldn't they.

If his published data are wrong, then please show us why.

Oh please.

I am perhaps more impressed by the fact that he started as a die-hard Greenpeace supporter, and then found on digging into the "evidence" that very little of it tied up.

Reply to
newshound

From my philosophical perspective, on has to ask what is the meaning of the phrase, and is it in anyway useful?

If the geological records are to be interpreted at all, they suggest that the planets ecosphere has been in flux since the day of its creation.

Climate is a term that doesn't really cover the case. Climate was invented to distinguish one *place* from another, not one *time*, and the concept of 'global climate' is particularly egregious.

In my life I have seen colder winters and summers than this year as well as warmer ones.

What is clear however is that the chaotic system that describes the weather best, is still orbiting around the same attractor it always has been.

Nothing about modern weather is in anyway unusual, unprecedented or a sign of the End Of Times.

Those in power know its a scam, which is why they make money out of it but don't actually address it seriously.

Those who *believe it's true are in the main people with little or no scientific training, or who haven't examined the evidence in detail.

It is vaguely reminiscent of the apocryphal 'Calendar Riots' of 1752 in which people allegedly rioted over the change from Julian to Gregorian calendars, and the apparent loss of 11 days in their lives.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

From page 40 of 139 of the report on

I've determined optimised RMS error curves that fit the RCP8.5 and 4.5 emissions scenarios of the central confidence lines, red and black on that page. For 2019.0 to 2020.0 from those curves 5mm of increase for the green,

5.3mm for the red and 4.3mm for the black curves. For the century to 2100 the projection of the green is 80.4cm SLR projection from current Aviso altimetry data, 105.4cm for the red and 61.9cm for black, as in the IPCC plot. Also visually the green, best fit to the altimetry data by RMS error and R^2 factor, lies between the 4.5 and 8.5 scenarios.

or if you are denied access to pics-only off that site, then at the top of the page referred to below. Aviso.fr has still not updated their altimetry data , so it will be near enough a year out of date when they do publically disclose it, last output Nov 2020 was with data to Sep 2020.

Reply to
N_Cook